SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 1 March 2017

Day 7 – Registering Death!

I sat contemplating over the trauma of the last seven days and didn't do very much today. As each hour and day passes, I still can't believe I won't be able to see my dear Father give his lovely little smile again or hold his hand – breaks my heart. That smile will not be forgotten though – a smile that lights up the room.

My appointment at the Registrar's Office at the Town Hall in King's Lynn was 2.45pm. I arrived early and waited along with one other family. It felt weird sitting here. I had never been in this part of the town hall before. A lady registrar came out to greet me and called me into her office. It took far longer than expected to register the death and produce the certificates – I was there for 45 minutes. I was asked several questions that I didn't know the answer to and had to phone Mother a couple of times. I paid for eight certificates at £4.00 each – they go up to £8.00 if you want more at a later date. I was then given a unique reference code to phone the government 'Tell Us Once' service, which I have to ring this week and this service will then notify all the organisations such as Works & Pensions, Council Tax etc. I left the office with the final papers and returned home.

I had not checked out the far end of my back garden since Storm Doris (the day Father died) and to my horror discovered that an additional two 6ft panels (besides the one by my patio door) had been blown flat and now open to my other neighbour's garden! I spent ages trying to put them back up myself. This mean't I had to go into my shed to find hammer and nails. I have not been in that shed for a very long time. As I unlocked the door I was confronted with a horror scene from the film 'Arachnophobia'! The entire space was interlaced with huge cobwebs. I had to try and remove them all, just to get to the toolbox and hammer! I did manage to put the fence panels back up, but it was a poor job – they will come straight back down again in the next strong wind, but they look ok at the moment! It was a beautiful sunny day, but rained later on.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Penny

    your many readers are thinking of you, now and in the days ahead...

    Through your posts we have come to know your father... it is almost as if we have lost a neighbour.

    I have had one thought: your clear notes on the practicalities of all this might well be of use to other families... as, I have often thought would be your practical approach to dealing with elderly relations in hospital, finding care homes, etc.

    If ever you could find the time to do it, a web page of this practical advice/detail would be a set of clear directions missing at the moment.

    Ed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Ed. My decisions in dealing with the 'practicalities' were not always right, but thank you!

      Delete