SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 14 March 2015

Total Solar Eclipse – Friday 20th March 2015!

I remember the last one – 11th August 1999. I was living in Colchester. I clearly remember all the birds going quiet – eerily quiet and still, like it was the middle of the night. The shadow of darkness that fell was really quite scary! As the darkness lifted and the light appeared again, the birds started to sing again. My Mother recalls bees that were buzzing in garden, they just stopped, as though they had died and started up again when the light appeared!

It's a Total Solar Eclipse in Svalbard (Norway) and the Faroe Islands, and a Partial Solar Eclipse in Europe, northern and eastern Asia and northern and western Africa.

Friday’s partial eclipse of the Sun begins at 8.30am and reaches its maximum point about an hour later, varying across Britain.

The next Total Solar Eclipse, is not visible in the UK again until 2090. I would be 125 years old in 2090 – I don't think I will make it somehow!

There will also be a Supermoon the evening before the eclipse, meaning the Earth and Moon are as close together as they can be. This makes this 2015 Spring Equinox eclipse a supermoon eclipse, meaning a supermoon, equinox and eclipse will all fall on the same day.

What's really sad is the fact I won't have any of my camera gear back from being checked and serviced before then! Mind you, I'm at work anyway, so suppose it doesn't matter. Wish I had booked the time off now.

http://www.solareclipse2015.org.uk/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/travel/54527/where-to-see-the-2015-solar-eclipse.html

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/events/partial-solar-eclipse#?tab=map&map=ScreenTemperature&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.58&fcTime=1426334400

No comments:

Post a Comment