SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 5 May 2014

SUBALPINE WARBLER AT HOLME!

Well – I requested on FB last night for any 'rares' to turn up after 1pm. My wish was granted! Leicestershire birder Steve Lister found a SUBALPINE WARBLER at Holme this afternoon at 1.45pm and then Titchwell RSPB Warden Paul Eele and Holme NOA Assistant Warden Gary Elton, found the first Yellow-browed Warbler this year in Norfolk which is also an unusual spring record!!! Congratulations to everyone – I believe that Paul was the second and only other person to see the Subalpine Warbler today. Lots of Norfolk birders on site, hoping to catch a glimpse of this bird, but no one was lucky. Holme is certainly on a roll this spring and long may it continue!

After returning home from work at about 1.15pm, I got a text from a friend to inform me that a Subalpine Warbler had been found at Holme. I had already arranged to pick my sister Lucy up, so I couldn't let her down. As time ticked by, there was no further news on the S.W. Everyone I tried to ring, either didn't reply or I was in a bad signal area! So I rang RBA and asked them to put a 'no further sign' message out.

Dropped Lucy off at my parents and even though another 'no sign of' message appeared on the pager, I decided I needed to go and look anyway. Very few people left, by the time I got to Holme Bird Observatory. I stayed with Mark & Tracey Bradberry to search, but no luck by 6.30pm. Sadly no sign of the Yellow-browed Warbler either.

Went back to my parents house, had tea etc and then took Lucy back home. Absolutely shattered by the time I got back to King's Lynn.

Tomorrow is the beginning of my holiday and some serious birding!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment