SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 5 August 2013

ROLLER TWITCH!

As I sat in the car at lunchtime, the pager bleeped up ROLLER at Horsey – OMG – that magical word that gets your heart racing. Why, oh why does work always get in the way of good birds – good birds? This was far more than a good bird, a mega bird and birders will travel the miles to see one. Oh well, if it disappeared, at least I had seen the Holt bird, which was my first Norfolk Roller and second in the UK.
I normally collapse in a heap on Monday nights, but the adrenalin kicks in big time for a Roller! Naturally I left work dead on time – I was first out of the door, ran to my locker, got changed, ran down the hill, nipped home, grabbed birding gear and I was off like the wind and possibly broke the land speed record (smile) to get to Horsey!
I arrived at the Nelson's Head Track at 7pm. The skies were black and a storm was looming, but I hadn't got time to mess about getting wet weather gear together, didn't even bother with the scope. With camera and bins, I speed walked and jogged along the track. Saw Paul W. and others on route. There was one man in front of me, also hurrying along. As I neared the end of the track I could see birders standing a long way to the right, so I still had a way to go. My speed increased, there was no way I was going to miss this bird after driving 78 miles. Passed Phil Heath who informed me it was just past the second set of wooden steps. I was moments away. Birders walking towards me and negative toned voices. My heart and soul sank when I heard the sickening words 'it flew 5 minutes ago' – I thought they were joking. This was no joke – the Roller had flown across the fields and across the track that I had just walked and ran down and had carried on towards Horsey. I was mortified and just couldn't believe that I had dipped this stunning bird by a few minutes, talk about bad luck! The awful thing is that it would have been flying over my head as I ran down the track. No words will console me. A really nice couple I know said how they got some really nice pictures – at that point I didn't really want to hear that! (No offence if you are reading this!). The man who had been just in front of me was also gutted as he only lives five minutes away he told me, he had had the day off, doesn't have a pager and saw the news on birdguides early evening. I refused to give up. Walked back along the track, scanning the fields and bushes as I went. Now raining and lightening – great stuff! I declared it would be a dramatic blog post, 'Penny dips Roller and is struck by lightening' – although someone else would be writing it!!!
I re-located to Horsey Gap. It was now torrential rain, thunder and lightening. I reclined the seats and snoozed. I had a mad plan to sleep in the car and try and see this bird at first light, but I realised I would only have an hour and a half to look, as I would have to leave by 6am to get to work on time, so quickly squashed that mad idea! At 8.40pm the rain stopped completely. I got out of the car and walked along the track towards the end of the Nelson's Head track. This was a complete waste of time with the failing light, but I refused to give up. Saw a nice Stonechat sitting on a fence post. Its amazing what you think you can see when its almost dark! I potentially saw three turquoise blobs in trees and bushes – the imagination runs riot if you let it! I walked back to the car feeling really fed-up. Had some coffee and drove home. There was some serious flash flooding on route and I luckily managed to keep control of the car through several floods that suddenly appeared in front of me – scary stuff, scary drive home.
So, 156 miles of stress, wasted fuel, running miles, out in a thunderstorm and driving in flash flooding – not one of my best evenings at all! That roller better be gone in the morning! But of course it won't be, the pager will read 'ROLLER again, Horsey and showing well'!!! A dangerous game this twitching lark! Good night!
NO PICTURES TO BE ADDED!

No comments:

Post a Comment