SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 23 June 2013

Not a 'Rosy' Day really!

I had intended on arriving at Wells at first light again, but woke up at 8am with my phone in hand ready to set the alarm for 3.45am and the bedside light on!!! Bother!!! Flew downstairs to look at the pager to read that the Rose-coloured Starling had not been seen. So, obviously I was not mean't to go! I was very disappointed at hearing this news and yes I know I have seen the bird several times and other people still have not been able to see this bird yet due to work commitments etc, but it was such a beautiful bird in a spectacular setting and I was simply looking forward to watching it again today and hopefully obtaining a better photo. With that plan out of the window I couldn't decide what to do next. With strong westerly winds I didn't expect to see any new birds today anyway. My parents were way over due for a visit, so stayed fairly local today.

Holme Marsh Reserve NWT – 2 Marsh Harriers and very little else. Islands overgrown and I could hardly see the pool from the first hide.

Redwell Marsh Reserve, Holme NOA produced a Green Sandpiper which flew off the front of the pool as I carefully (honest) opened the hide flaps. Not too much else here really.

Inspected the new tarmac along the Firs Road down to the reserves at Holme. I can report back that the ramps STILL remain, but the road has been re-laid with a tarmac substance, which means that the rollercoaster ride in-between the ramps is now pretty smooth (ish). So overall its considerably better, but it all stops at the pay hut. You still have the orange/white dusty and shingle road all the way down to the reserves, but I was told that they have levelled out most of the pot holes in this section, which they had. There are pro's and con's to tarmacking the whole road I can see that – it would be very costly indeed, holiday makers would drive even faster than they do all ready in their over-sized vehicles and the noise levels would increase for local residents. On the plus side it would mean twitchers would be able to get down and back along that road a whole lot quicker (smile!!!), car suspensions would stay intact and your body wouldn't feel like it had just done a full gym work out by the end of the road!!! Oh and you would be able to watch birds on route without them jumping up and down!

With rubbish, rainy weather I decided to visit my parent's for a while. Mother gave me the Lynn News (which was published on Friday) with my Eagle Owl picture in. Father was dozing when I first arrived, so didn't really get to chat with him very much but mother made up for it!

Titchwell RSPB – 4 Little Gulls amongst loads of Knot, Black-tailed Godwits, Avocets etc etc. Met birder/photographer Steve Plume and a friend in the Island Hide who had travelled up from Suffolk to look at the Rose-coloured Starling this morning which was obviously very disappointing for them. We had a good chat about cameras, lenses etc. I took a video of the Avocets, but I couldn't see any Spotted Redshanks. Loads of Swifts and House martins swooping low over the bank.

Choseley Drying Barns – a lovely surprise of 2 Turtle Doves along with Yellowhammers, Corn Buntings, Chaffinches, Stock Doves, Wood Pigeons, Collared Doves and a Pied Wagtail.

Wells Quay – bought a portion of chips and sat in the car eating them, in front of the Canopy tree, just in case the R.C.S. appeared. A very high tide this evening along with the very strong winds! I also had a good look round the allotments in case the starling had re-located, but alas nothing of note. If anyone has lost a black, cute looking scotty dog in Wells it was running along the bottom of the sea wall, I couldn't see owners anywhere. I have a bad feeling someone might have dumped this little fellow. I know I am not a dog lover, but I did feel sorry for it. I did try to call it over to me to look at its collar, but it carried on at great speed and didn't take any notice of me. As I drove along the road, a group of local people were also concerned and were trying to catch it in vain. We all lost sight of it, so don't know what has happened to it.

As I pulled up into my drive I was reminded that I really do NEED to cut my hedge and weed the front garden – probably a good week to get this done.

PHOTOGRAPHS AND VIDEOS TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment