SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 4 May 2013

A Beautiful Day!


SHORT-EARED OWL
at Holme NWT – Bird of the Day!


A good day's birding all round really and with glorious weather! 

Snettisham Coastal Park
I arrived early, but not early enough. There were dog walkers everywhere with armfuls of dogs, some on leads, but mostly not. Funny that, with sign on gate clearly stating that all dogs must be on leads! I pointed this out to a couple of them and the reply was 'I have lived here 12 years and never had my dog on a lead' – my reply 'I have lived here much longer than that, but the sign still says dogs must be on a lead' and the man just continued walking. I didn't spend very long here, I couldn't stand it, but then it was to be expected on a bank holiday weekend I suppose. Heard and saw a cuckoo, sedge and reed warbler singing and also common whitethroat.

Hunstanton Cliffs
In the cliff top gardens there were House Sparrows, Blackbirds and a couple of Pied Wagtails feeding on the bowling green. Racing pigeons were drinking from the ornamental concrete pond and a few Meadow Pipits and Goldfinches flying south. Fulmars gliding in blue skies over the cliff top edge. On the pitch 'n' putt there were 6 Pied Wagtails along with 2 beautiful Yellow Wagtails in the bottom corner (where the sharp corner in the road is at Old Hunstanton).

Holme Reserves
Parked up at the 5-bar gate, half way along the Firs Road and chatted with Andy B. who told me he hadn't seen that much from Hunstanton Cliffs this morning but did have a massive passage of 63 Crossbills!!! A female Blackcap was in a hawthorn bush, a couple of Reed Buntings flew over and also 3 Whimbrel. I decided it might just be worth the long walk out to the lagoon that is positioned between two dune ridges in hope that a reported Black-winged Stilt was still hanging around. As I walked along the path the runs behind the NWT payhut I saw at least 3 Cuckoos, one of which I got a record shot of. Good numbers of Whitethroats and Chiffchaffs. There was a Grasshopper Warbler along here somewhere I was told, but I didn't hear it. It was a beautiful walk and I didn't pass anywhere near as many dogs as I did at Snettisham earlier! As I reached the scrub/sea buckthorn by the main beach gap I half expected to see a stonechat, as this is a good spot for them, but didn't see any. A few meadow pipits around and a steady trickle of hirundines. On reaching the lagoon I saw Oystercatcher, 2 Redshanks, 2 Shelducks, 1 Ringed Plover and a single Grey Plover. At Gore Point I saw a couple more Ringed Plovers and flock of 6 Goldfinches on the beach. A Peregrine was also flying over the beach and landed distantly. Along the sea going east were 2 Common Terns and 5 Little Terns. I crossed over the dunes to the NWT Forestry. Very little in here really, no wheatears at all. A few Hedge Sparrows around, Robin and a few Chiffchaffs. Two Mistle Thrushes feeding together was a nice surprise, but then I had a much bigger surprise at 11.45am! As I walked a few yards behind another birder a Short-eared Owl was flushed from the long grass next to the large flat area of short turf! I wasn't quite quick enough off the mark with the camera really though, got some shots but none would win any prizes. This Short-eared Owl was seen yesterday, so I presume its the same one.

 Cuckoo at Holme.

Skylark at Holme.

Short-eared Owl flushed from the NWT Forestry, Holme. 


Parked up on the NOA carpark and had lunch sitting on my picnic rug for the first time this year. It was lovely and warm and then I had a wonderful snooze. A Lesser Whitethroat appeared in a small hawthorn right next to me when I was on the phone, it would have made a fabulous photograph! Several Common Whitethroats bombing about and I could hear the noisy Black-headed Gulls on the Broad Water. Walked up to the Firs NWT reception and chatted with Kelvin who told me there were 40+ Yellow Wagtails and 2 Blue-headed Wagtails with the cattle at the Wader Pools and hides. The two new loos are due to be opened in about 3 weeks I was told – they really are the most funky loos I have ever seen on any nature reserve or anywhere come to think of it!

Walked up Holme Bird Observatory and chatted with Sophie (Warden) who told me that was a massive raft of 1,800 Common Scoter offshore. The new viewing platform (see my last post at Holme) now has steps going up it and seating area – it really is fabulous. I sat on the dunes for a seawatch for a short time, but not a single bird was seen!

Walked back through the pines and then crossed over the dunes and walked to the NWT Wader Pools at 4pm. I could see the cattle from the first hide, but realised I needed to get closer so walked up to the 3rd Hide. The cattle were grazing amongst long grass, so it was difficult to see any Yellow Wagtails, but every so often the whole flock got up and I counted way more than 40, I reckon there was at least 50+ Yellow Wagtails. Met a really nice couple who follow me on Twitter/blog. A Common Sandpiper landed in the pool and the light was perfect for photography. Its such a pity that you can only be in these hides from 10am-5pm as for birds and photography you need to be here early morning and mid evening ideally. Cley NWT allows members to be in their hides dawn 'til' dusk and I don't understand why this can't be the same at Holme NWT. NOA members are allowed to be at all reserves: Holme Bird Observatory, Hempton and Walsey Hills dawn 'til dusk. Anyway, Black-headed Gulls were on nests right on front of the hide along with Tufted Ducks, Moorhens, a Cormorant, Mallards, Shelducks and a Pochard. Kestrel, Marsh Harrier were also seen and a Grey Heron flew over. I left at 4.55pm with the couple I had met as we were suppose to be out of there by closure time of 5pm, but I naughtily went back to the hide when I could see the cattle moving closer and closer to the water's edge of the pool. I am so glad I did as I had lovely close views of the Yellow Wagtails and got a few pictures but none were close enough for sharp pictures with my 300mm lens.

 Black-headed Gulls at the Wader Pools, Holme NWT.

 Moorhen at the Wader Pools, Holme NWT.

 Oystercatcher preening at the Wader Pools, Holme NWT.

 Yellow Wagtails with Cattle at the Wader Pools, Holme NWT.

Moorhen at the Wader Pools, Holme NWT.


Walking back along the path to the NOA carpark I bumped into Richard Brooks and friends who were then going to the hides! Suddenly the Short-eared Owl came into view and I got a few record shots of it both flying and sitting on a fence post at 5.45pm. A Cuckoo was heard from the NOA carpark and also a Cettis's Warbler.

 Short-eared Owl at the Wader Pools, Holme NWT,


Drove along the Firs Road and parked up at the 5-bar gate. The Short-eared Owl was tantalising people, well R.B. really who was attempting to photograph it – too far away though for my baby lens. I walked along the path behind the payhut again and watched the Short-eared Owl with a Barn Owl together. Also saw David Gray (Singer/song writer) walking along birding – I always know its him as he doesn't wear the normal birding attire!

 Barn Owl (ringed) along the path behind NWT pay hut with David Gray!

 DAVID GRAY, Singer/Song Writer
Just in case any of my non-birding friends and work colleagues think birding isn't cool!


Redwell Marsh NOA – ended the day in the hide. Birds seen: Heron, 18 Avocets, Mallards inc. one young only, Shovelers, 3 Shelducks, Gadwalls, Coots, Black-tailed Godwit, Tufted Ducks. At 7.45pm there was a massive surge of hundreds of Swallows, Sand Martins and House Martins hurtling through and skimming over the pool for a drink – this was a real spectacle and continued for about half an hour before I left at around 8.15pm. Drove up the Ringstead hill to find little owl. Found a couple of hares, but no owls. The sunset over the wash from here was magical – red streaks throughout darkened skies filled the skies with colour.

Went to visit my parents briefly before returning home.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a cracking day and some brill pictures. And well done for speaking to the irresponsible dog owners. I probably wouldn't have been so polite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.

    I really do think that all dogs should be on leads in public. This would save so many problems - disturbance to wildlife, attacking other people and noise from owners shouting for their out of control pets!

    ReplyDelete