SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 1 April 2013

BANK HOLIDAY BIRDING!

Starling at Tescos, Hunstanton.

After compiling my second 'Snowy Owl' post via iphone whilst having my breakfast, I was contemplating where to go birding today. I decided to just go with the flow. I had a full day's birding alone and it was wonderful! The weather was very cold and gloomy in the morning, but the sun came out in the afternoon and it almost felt warm, well a little bit anyway!

Babingley Bridge, Castle Rising – TF6725
This bridge is along a track which is in fact the old road to Castle Rising and just off the A149 before you get to Wolferton. I had the best ever selection of birds here! As I walked alongside the riverside, I could see lots of signs of spring including clumps of green leaves of the yellow flag iris emerging from the very clear water, catkins and lots of different buds unfolding. I heard and saw a Nuthatch, saw two different Treecreepers, a Bullfinch was calling, Chaffinches, three Siskins feeding on alder, at least six Redwings hopping about amongst a clearing in the tree canopy along with a few blackbirds, two Goldcrests, Coal, Great, Blue and Long-tailed Tits and a Wren. Around the fields were a few black-headed gulls, seven Lapwings and 100+ Woodpigeons. In fact, I noticed throughout the day that there were huge numbers of woodpigeons feeding on fields.

Sandringham
Goldcrests x 2, Great Tits x 2, no sign of Golden Pheasants.

Snettisham Coastal Park
I was hoping to find a Wheatear here, but no luck. Just lots of dog walkers and even more of those little familiar hanging plastic bags! Only birds seen here were a few blackbirds, robin, hedgesparrow and two grey plovers sitting on the shoreline.

South Beach, Heacham
Parked the car up and walked along the private road between the beach chalets, until I reached the large expanse of short turf by the green tin hut and I was in luck – here was my first Wheatear of the year! A lone meadow pipit accompanied the wheatear. There were also some linnets on the shoreline. The sun was beautiful now but the wind remained cold. I trudged back to the car, seeing little else.
My first Wheatear of the Spring at South Beach, Heacham.

Tescos Carpark, Hunstanton
Had lunch in the cafe, succumbed to a half price easter egg and then walked back to my car. I had a fabulous time here, photographing Starlings who's shimmering colours sparkled in the sunshine. I could not believe how many birds were in this one hawthorn bush – there were at least 10+ starlings, at least half a dozen house sparrows, 2 woodpigeons, a robin, 2 blackbirds and about 3 chaffinches. I believe this was the spot where a rosefinch was seen last year (if I remember correctly).


 
Starlings at Tescos, Hunstanton.

House Sparrow at Tescos, Hunstanton.

Holme NWT Forestry
Its been absolutely ages since I have driven along the 'Firs Road' and I noticed that another newly modern designed house has appeared, with formal ornamental trees placed in shingle at the front – its not a town!!! I also noticed along the Beach Road off the A149, that lots of trees have been very heavily trimmed on the left hand side, which I couldn't really understand why. This road provided a shady, leafy canopy in summer time – oh well, that's gone! There is far too much unnecessary tidying going on!

At the 'Forestry' I hoped for my second wheatear of the day, but this did not materialise. In fact nothing much did, apart from a wren who seemed angered by me crossing his path, a blackbird and a magpie. From 'Gore Point' I could see a ringed plover along with a dunlin in the channel, also 8 shelduck and several redshanks. On the 'Saltings' pools I could see several Avocets feeding, 2 Little Egrets and lots of Woodpigeons feeding on Holme Marsh in front of the church.

Titchwell RSPB
Only stopped here to use the loos, but had a quick look at the bird feeding station. I spent quite a while sitting here, photographing a song thrush, blackbirds, chaffinches and robins. There was also a Brambling on the feeders.
Robin at Titchwell RSPB.
Song Thrush at Titchwell RSPB.
Egmere
Between North Creake and South Creake. I reached the Egmere crossroads and it took me ages to find the Great Grey Shrike that has been seen over the last few days. I couldn't see the bird in the hedge along the track, where others have seen it. But I eventually located the bird just before 7pm, sitting in a hedgerow in the centre of the field distantly with scope, but still nice to see. A Common Buzzard also sat on a dead tree and there were a couple of Red-legged Partridges. A group of Guinea Fowl appeared from the around the corner of the hedge and the shrike then disappeared.

Went to Syderstone to visit a friend briefly on route back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment