SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 19 January 2013

150 Turnstones!

I just couldn't get out of bed this morning, I felt ill and tired. Several of us have been ill at work with 'the bug', although I seemed to have suffered less than some and managed to get to work each day. I just dossed around really most of the day, which probably did me some good to be honest. I put out a wonderful selection of treats for the birds: buttery potatoes (cooked up especially), a microwaved christmas pudding, creamed coconut, wholemeal bread, peanut butter in dish, apples and a plateful of dried fruit and the usual bird seed. Spent ages knocking out the ice from the bird pools and re-filling. I sat with my eggs and soliders and waited for my garden to fill with birds. I waited and I waited. Eventually I had one male blackbird, who only stopped briefly to peck at the bread and 1 collared dove. I was shocked – where were all the hungry birds? For the first time I didn't even see my usual robin! I hadn't seen any cats in my garden for a long time until today, one suddenly appeared from around the corner of the caved in greenhouse and preceeded towards my bird table, until I shouted and hammered on the patio doors. My three fence panels are not back up yet, so any cat can get into the garden easily at the moment, the sooner that's sorted the better! Still waiting for my neighbour to remove the tree stump and cut down his row of leylandi before I replace my fence. I did have a new garden tick though, a heron flew over my house! Also saw a great spotted woodpecker on the tall willow trees (in a neighbours garden) and a big number of woodpigeons sitting in the top branches. These willow trees are the tallest willows I have ever seen in my life and they stand out even more now, since the fallen leylandi has exposed them.

Went to Wilkinsons to buy bird seed for mother who had hinted she had run out and also a new bath seat from the mobility shop for father. Still pretty slippery getting out of my estate, but all main roads clear.

It was now around 4pm and on route to Holme I decided to try and see the peregrine at King's Lynn Docks. I counted 150+ Turnstones feeding by the moored boats and tons of gulls sitting on the roof of a snow covered, fishing shed and managed to see one of the Peregrine's sitting a ledge at the side of the tower.

Went to Holme, delivered seed and bath seat and returned home. Ironed all my uniforms and then drove to work to put them in my locker to save me carrying them all tomorrow when I walk to work. Lots of snow predicted tomorrow! Take care if you are all out and about tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment