SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 26 July 2012

Robin Abel - Farewell... 'fly free with the birds'

Notice in the Eastern Daily Press

I booked today off work so that I could go to Robin Abel's funeral. As I type these words I still find it hard to accept that he is no more. It's always such a shock when someone dies so suddenly and unexpectedly.

The sun was shining today.

I arrived at St Faith's Crematorium, just north of Norwich for the 11.45am service. There was a good turnout from the birding community to pay their last respects. Robin was very much liked by all who knew him and his death has saddened so many people. The chapel was not only full, but people were standing.

The minister conducted a lovely service and the hymns were beautiful.


How Great Thou Art

O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the *worlds thy hands have made,
I see the stars, I hear the *rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed:

Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art! How great thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art! How great thou art!

When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees,
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze:

Then sings my soul......

And when I think that God, his Son not sparing,
Sent him to die, I scarce can take it in,
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.

Then sings my soul......

When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then *I shall bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, My God, how great thou art

Then sings my soul......


Great is Thy faithfulness

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.

Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Great is Thy faithfulness!.....

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Great is Thy faithfulness!.....


I joined other birders and family afterwards at the 'Three Swallows' in Cley where Robin's nephew thanked us all for coming. Robin had twin brothers, which I don't think many people knew he had - I spoke briefly to one of them as I left, both brothers seemed lovely people.

A beautiful service for a beautiful soul.

Rest in Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment