SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Friday 15 June 2012

'Adder' a Scary Surprise today!!!

Its been a difficult week with continued ear infection and toothache combined. Been to the dentist and had a re-filling, antibiotics for next five days - long boring story and more dentistry next week.

I did the early shift today and finished at 3.15pm. Incredible thunderstorm and torrential rain around lunch time. I ended up doing some really weird things this evening. On my arrival home from work a family in my street were extremely distraught, because their dog had crashed its way through the garden fence whilst they were out and had escaped. As I'm sure most of you have realised by now, I am not exactly a lover of dogs, but the lady of the house was so upset, I felt compelled to join in the search. Pumped up the tyres up on my bike and off I went in search of the dog who had been seen down by the old 'dairy crest' by the Gaywood River/cycle path area a couple of times this afternoon by members of the public. It was hard going over the rough, grassy paths alongside the river, but kept going. Suddenly I realised that an Adder was stretched full out across my path and I screeched to a stop just in time - I was soooooo close to cycling over it - goodness knows what would have happened to me or the Adder had I not stopped in time!!!!!!! Annoyingly though, I had no camera with me - typical! The Adder watched me up momentarily as if to say 'you were lucky' and then slithered away into the long grass. Another neighbour in my street had always told me there were Adders around here, but I didn't quite believe her and presumed they were grass snakes, now I do!!! I ended up in Reffley Woods, which I have never actually been to because of vandals, fires etc etc. Didn't see any birds in here of note, good job I didn't really with no bins! I hadn't realised how large this wood was and I after a while I came to the conclusion that I was completely and utterly lost! It took me ages to get out of there, but eventually discovered a gate next to a road - I felt so silly asking a lady by her house for the directions back to a main road - I was a long way off I discovered. Anyway, I eventually got back home after detouring around different sections of river on the way back etc to look for the dog and returned again to where it was seen this afternoon, but no sign. When I got back home an hour and a half later, the dog still hadn't been found. I don't like giving up, but I was really tired now. The dog is micro-chipped, so I hope someone is honest and kind enough to hand it in to a vets, so that it can be returned to the family.

I am not into football at all really, but tonight I was completely enthralled by the England/Sweden game - and England won!!!!!

Highlights in Norfolk today:
Black-winged Stilt
at Welney WWT.
Long-tailed Duck
at Blakeney. See picture here.

No comments:

Post a Comment