SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 11 February 2012

Titchwell RSPB - a glittery world of ice and birds!!!

I got up very early this morning. Left the house at 6.15am and went to buy newspapers for my parents. It was unbelievably cold - I had every layer on imaginable. I caught an early bus to Hunstanton and then caught the Coastliner bus to Holme to deliver newspapers, arriving at 7.55am. My mother seems to have an adopted a stray cat which now has first choice of where to sit! Father was very fed up with the icy weather and stated that he had not been out of the house for 11 days due to the fact the road where they live, is still compacted ice. Had breakfast with my parents and then caught the next Coastliner bus to Titchwell RSPB arriving at 9.20am.

Titchwell RSPB
My Russian Style Cossack Hat I bought a year ago is so warm - I just love this hat and its also a good disguise - I said hello to several people today who didn't respond back how they normally would - they didn't know it was me! Anyway I started walking along the main path - glittering white snow and frost blanketed everything and the sun was shining brightly with blue skies. Eddie joined me half way along the path. Mealy and Lesser Redpolls were feeding on the Alders on the main path near the visitor centre. Goldfinches were feeding next to the path and also several meadow pipits and reed buntings were seen and of course several cute robins. The fresh marsh was completely frozen over and looked amazing, although I am sure the birds didn't think so! Two Chinese Water Deer were on the west side of the main path.

From the sea we had stunning views in the sunshine of 5 Long-tailed Ducks, 6 Velvet Scoters, tons of Golden Eye, 5 Eiders, a Great Crested Grebe, Sanderlings, 2 Ringed Plovers, Grey Plover etc. Standing on the viewing platform I attempted to stab my walking pole into the sand to balance my scope on (too much to carry tripod on bus/walk aswell) when I discovered that the sand was frozen!!!!! I have never seen the sand like that before! We walked back along the main path to watch 3 beautiful Smew on the Volunteer Marsh, a 1st winter drake along with 2 red heads at 11.10am and also close enough to get some record shots! Further along the path we watched along with others a Bittern on the Thornham pool - there were three at one point apparently! Couple of grey herons there also.

Had an early lunch in the Feeding Station - I am normally hard core and sit outside, but it was a joy to sit inside today!

Burnham Overy Staithe
Quick stop here to see if there were any rough-legged buzzards. A female Peregrine was seen over Holkham pines. Paul Lee was here, who is 60 tomorrow Eddie told me - you don't look it! - Happy Birthday for tomorrow.

Holkham Lake

I have not been here for a long time - it was a beautiful walk. The carpark is still free - hope its stays that way! The path to the lake held several woodland species including nuthatch (heard) and several treecreepers, although no woodpeckers were seen or heard at all. Fieldfare, redwings, mistle thrush and chaffinches were also seen along with loads of deer grazing and looking very photogenic in the snow by the hall. On the lake by the hall were a mass of wildfowl including loads of pochard, tufted duck, mallard etc, but nothing more excting. A few egyptian geese around too. I then had one of my best wildlife experiences ever - we followed the path along the lake and I suddenly spotted a Woodcock sitting inches from the path up ahead - I spent a long time stalking it and got so close with the camera that I filled the frame - it was magical being so close to this beautiful bird - its beady eye was keeping a close eye on me though - it eventually flew off into the woodland.

Wells-next-Sea
Common Buzzard seen along Beach Road. On the boating lake by the carpark we had fabulous views in the setting sun of 4 Red-headed Smew and also 5 Goosander (1 drake) along with 5 little grebes and loads of mallards. We were really chuffed with finding these birds here as RBA had a report earlier that the lake was frozen solid with no birds - the water had since melted enough in places for the smew and goosanders to return.

Stiffkey Campsite Carpark.
Got here a bit too late really, but did see a barn owl, whilst drinking coffee.

I got the 5.43pm Coastliner bus from Stiffkey, arriving back in King's Lynn at 7.10pm and then had a 20 minute walk home. Fell asleep as soon as I got in!

The Met Office reported: "Temperatures on Friday night fell widely below minus 10 degrees Celsius across parts of southern and eastern England with Holbeach in Lincolnshire recording a minimum -15.6C, making it the coldest night of the winter across the UK so far and also the coldest night since Boxing Day 2010."

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment