SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 10 December 2011

Rubbish Day!!!

As expected, the car failed its MOT miserably. I will be given a quote on Monday for the work to get it re-tested, but it looks bad news for my beloved Hyundai Coupe. Yes I know its only metal, but I LOVE this car! The day continued to get worse, including dipping on the Coues's Arctic Redpoll, basically because I got there far too late.

Dropped the car in at the garage at 9.15am and was told it would be ready by 11am. So I mooched around the town, window shopping and watched people doing their christmas shopping. My heart sank when I found out it failed, I knew it would, but didn't think it would fail on major things, after all the money spent on it in the last year.

"Offside rear (under sill) suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded."
"Rear (cross member) Sub-frame corroded and seriously weakened"
and the emissions were "4 CO high at fast idle."

So with welding, labour and a new catalytic converter, you're talking at least £500, if not more. I laughed my head off when I input my car into www.webuyanycar.com - it offered me £105.00!!!!!! How sad!!!! I have only very recently, put two new tyres on the car that cost more than that!!! I was also told that I wouldn't get more than £200 for it at auction. The MOT runs out on Friday, so I have 5 days to do something with the car.

I would probably get a alot more for the car if I traded it in. I did something crazy and went into the SKODA garage to ask how much it was cost to buy a new Skoda Fabia SE 1.6 Turbo Diesel and pay for it monthly. It was very, very tempting. No MOT for 3 years, free services for three years, free roadside recovery for 3 years, no car tax for first year and £20 for second year! I didn't have time to test drive it, but when I sat in the driver's seat, it felt good! But can I afford it? No, not really. So my coupe could be in the local auction on Wednesday. Very, very sad.

4 comments:

  1. Penny, know I shouldn't but gotta laugh, I spent £107 on a TAXI yesterday!!! so count your blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to here your having a bad time Penny, I have lost 2 of my loved cars to MOT in Kingshurst, but it really does not make sense to put money into a car that is falling to pieces even if you really love it. My car had rust on lots of areas of which i was quoted £1200 as i had paid only £800 for the car i was not willing to pay that much so i got the car crushed, it was heartbreaking. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your support. I shouldn't be heartbroken over a heap of metal with the bottom falling out, but its my little blue coupe, I love the way it drives, the leather seats, well just everything really - very sad! BUT I have some positive plans hopefully, watch this space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's okay to feel that way, Penny. Even if they're just a heap of metal, we have put them to good use, and they gave us the means to get to places. You can try alternative means of transpo while your prospect of driving is still out, or until you get a trade in or a new one.

    - Leisa Dreps

    ReplyDelete