SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 17 October 2011

The Last Day!

The last day of my holiday.

My plan was to arrive at Weybourne at first light to try and nail the Radde's Warbler. I was updating recent posts into the early hours of this morning, which resulted in getting up very late. I didn't even leave my house until after lunch!

On route to Wells I saw two Common Buzzards west of the B1105 near Barsham.

Warham Greens - West Track (Garden Drove)


Someone has posted a very helpful post on birdforum naming the four tracks at Warham: http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2265890&postcount=13502

Walked down the track in the blustery winds and it felt decidedly wintery today. No birds were seen at all in the hedgerows until I got to the little copse at the bottom where a skulky bird flew from bush to bush. I followed it and it kept eluding me - it eventually turned into a chaffinch!!! How exciting was that!!! In fact this summed the day up nicely. I continued walking east and climbed down into the 'Pit' and squeaked and 'pished' and made lots of attempts to see something!!! Only birds in here were a female blackcap, 1 great tit, 1 blue tit and 1 blackbird. Annoyingly I had left my scope in the car, which I now needed as I could see a buzzard sp. floating around the east end of East Hills, I couldn't magic it into a Rough leg with my 'bins'. I saw a ringtail Hen Harrier and also a stunning male Hen Harrier whilst chatting to James McCallum who was telling me what happened on the afternoon of the Rufous-tailed Robin - his account will be forthcoming soon.

Drove over to Thornham Boat house in an attempt to see the reported Pallid Harrier, but no joy.

Some good birds in Norfolk today including: a juv. Pallid Harrier seen at Brancaster and Thornham, the Radde's Warbler remains elusive at Weybourne, a Great White Egret was seen going west along the coast, Snow Bunting at Morston, Great Grey Shrike at Dersingham Bog (seems to be a regular spot now), Rough leg Buzzards seen at Waxham and Holme, a probable Blythes' Reed Warbler at Stiffkey, a few Yellow-browed Warblers and news of a Red-flanked Bluetail in a private garden at Blakeney!

2 comments:

  1. Penny... your skulky bird turning out to be a Chaffinch... pretty much sums up my Autumn really!!! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear!!! This autumun has been rubbish compared to last year!!!

    ReplyDelete