SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 28 August 2011

Manxies galore!!!!!!!!

Walsey Hills NOA

Arrived here early morning, but wasn't lucky seeing the Red-backed Shrike today, even though it was there and seen by a few others!

Pete Snook sent me a lovely video of the Red-backed Shrike – thanks Pete!



Bishop's Hide, Cley NWT

34 Curlew Sandpipers, 8 Spoonbills, Red-necked Phalarope, Common Sandpipers, Green Sandpipers, 8 Little Stints, tons of greylags, ruff, dunlin etc. Eddie, Andy J. and Pete Snook also in the hide.

Cley Visitor Centre

Tea and Cheese Scone and met up with friends to pass on lens cloths I had collected for them from the Rutland Bird Fair.

Cromer

After yesterday's dip on the Greenish and Bonelli's Warblers I had no intention of going again today. But Pete, Graham and Andy fancied a trip over there, so on mass including Eddie and John F. we descended on Cromer in hope that we might be lucky. There were lots of birders there and some people appeared to be ticking a pale Chiffchaff as the Bonelli's. After lots of time spent here, we gave up, neither bird was seen by any of us. Several of us thought there was definately a bit of stringing going on today! But, it was seen by someone I know as a very competent birder, so was there somewhere I am sure. It was an absolutely stunning day. The sea below the cliffs was a glimmering turquoise in the glorious sunshine, it was an exceptionally beautiful day. Days like these make you feel very lucky to be living in Norfolk.

Foxglove Tea Rooms at Priory Maze & Gardens, Beeston Regis

Eddie and I went for a late lunch at The Foxglove Tea Rooms. It was the first time I had been here and I was VERY impressed. We sat outside in a very pretty garden. The service was first class and I had a perfect lunch of nut roast, with new potatoes, roast potatoes, yorkshire pudding, calibree, cauliflower, carrots and vege gravy, followed by Summer Pudding and home-made ice-cream. Everything was absolutely scrumptious and beautifully presented!!! I would highly recommend this cafe. But definately not ideal at all if you are dieting!!!
http://www.priorymazegardens.co.uk/tea-rooms/

Coastguards, Cley – 5pm-7.45pm


Eddie and I had a very productive sea watch! In half an hour between 5pm and 5.25pm we counted 21 Manx Shearwaters and 10 Arctic Skuas! I texted RBA to alert others that there was a good passage going on. The list below was just my sightings, as I did not see all birds that were seen distantly on the horizon with my Nikon ED50!

56 Manx Shearwaters, 28 Arctic Skuas, 2 Bonxies, 3 Guillemots, 12 Gannets, 1 Common Scoter, 1 Dunlin, 1 Little Gull, 155 Sanderling, 1 Whimbrel, 1 Fulmer and 1 Eider.

An excellent end to the day!

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment