SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 10 July 2011

Cley All Day!

Water Vole, from the footbridge leading to Cley NWT Hides.


Beautiful sunny day, but a heavy shower just before lunch!


Arrived at Cley at just before 8am and stood on the foot bridge that leads to the NWT hides waiting for the Water Vole to appear - it did, but only briefly and only achieved a record shot. Walked down to the hides and from Daukes' Hide saw 10 Spoonbills flying west, 1 Green Sandpiper and a Lesser black-backed Gull, Little Gulls, avocets, lapwings, LRP's, marsh harriers etc etc.

Gatekeeper on the way to Cley NWT Hides.


Juv. Black headed Gull, Salthouse.


After having a cup of tea in the visitor centre with Eddie M. and Andy J. we walked along the East Bank and was joined by John F. as well. There was a grasshopper 'treading water' in a very precarious situation, in the sluice/pool by the start of the East bank and John went to great lengths to save it - reaching a reed stem down to the water for the grasshopper to climb onto, which it did and thus saved! The walk along the bank was fabulous with full entertainment and laughter from all three along with several nice birds including a Wood Sandpiper, a Green Sandpiper, a Little Gull, 4 juv. Bearded Tits and marsh harriers. Andy advised me not to smile/laugh at John's jokes, because it made him worse - I noticed both Andy and Eddie smiling at ALL John's jokes - you just can't help it! In fact all three of them make me laugh alot. How we got on to the subject of 'Steptoe and Son' (sitcom) I really can't remember, but I was recalling the one where Harold invites his girlfriend back to 'experience' his new water bed etc etc- remember? it was hilarious - here is a link to remind you. Anyone aged 40 or under, won't have a clue what I am going on about, sorry! Anyway, we just all made it back to the carpark before it poured with rain - just about!

Sat in the NWT Visitor Centre carpark having my diet lunch - yep I am deadly serious now about shedding the pounds! A new Penny will be emerging in coming months! Went back to Daukes' Hide with John. The sun was out and again and the light was absolutely beautiful now. A massive type of horse fly was sitting on the ledge out of the hide window (possibly ' Tabanus sulcifrons') that was so big, at first I thought it was a big moth!!! Took a photograph, but not very good as it was sitting head on, to the hide. A greylag goose with a green neck ring and white writing Y64 appeared with juv greylags - not seen this before, but found it later from M.G. and E.M that it has been around for a couple of years and originates from Holland. There were at least 7 juv. little ringed plovers, *2 Yellow Leg Gulls (*after John went), several little gulls, kestrel, and same waders that I saw earlier. John left to go to Stiffkey Fen and I said I would probably go later, but needed a short snooze first. Left the hide, not long after John did and went back to the car. It was wonderfully warm in my car - seat back - pillow and snooze.......


Massive Horsefly on ledge outside Dauke's Hide, Cley NWT.


Two hours later.....!!!!!!! Felt too sleepy to be bothered to go to Stiffkey Fen now. Re-located to Coastguards and had my tea.

Daukes' Hide for the fourth time today! I felt quite lazy today, couldn't be bothered to go anywhere else. Sitting in the hide with Eddie M. Andy J., R.M., M.G., and others saw: 8 Little Gulls, a Greenshank, 3 Wood Sandpipers, a Green Sandpiper, 2 Little Ringed Plovers, several Spoonbills back and forth, a Sparrowhawk sitting on a fence for quite a while, which disturbed a few birds, several Marsh Harriers including juv's and again same waders as I saw earlier. Left about 8pm to go and stand on the footbridge to look for 'ratty' again. Waited and waited, no water vole. Went back to car and poured a cup of tea. Andy and Eddie then joined me to tell me they had just been watching the water vole!!!! How annoying! A Barn Owl appeared, hunting over the marshes.



Black-tailed Godwits, Daukes Hide, Cley NWT.


Little Ringed Plovers, Daukes Hide, Cley NWT.



Yellow-leg Gulls, Dauke's Hide, Cley NWT.



Black-tailed Godwits, Daukes Hide, Cley NWT.



Greylag Goose with young, Daukes Hide, Cley NWT.


Cruised home listening to N-Dubz 'Love, Live, Life'.

Bother - its Monday again already! But short week this week - our team has been asked to work Sunday every week, so that we provide a 6-day service which means that I have to work on a rota system every 10/11 weeks - cutting a long story short, when I work on the Sunday every 10 weeks I will be having the Friday off, resulting in a a 3-day weekend - magic! So have this Friday off!

2 comments:

  1. Nice: If that's Eddie Myers say hi from Australia and moi:

    Alan McBride

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is Eddie Myers!!!! Just sent Eddie a text - he said "Hi" and would like me to give you his email, but obviously I don't wish to give this out on the net so if you could email me (my email is listed on my blog) pennyclarke@dsl.pipex.com and I will send you his email address.

    ReplyDelete