SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Friday 17 June 2011

Red-footed Falcon in the rain again!



RED-FOOTED FALCON
HORSEY


I woke up to a text message alerting me to the fact that there was a red backed shrike at Horsey and that I was 'probably already there'. No I wasn't there, I was in bed. I had bashed the alarm down at some early hour and had just woken up. BOTHER! I had intended on being at Horsey at dawn for better pictures of the red-footed falcon - if I had been, I would have probably seen a red backed shrike aswell. Oh well, you can't see everything!

Left King's Lynn at 11am and arrived at Horsey at 12.20pm. Shortly after arriving, the forecast rain arrived. I walked along the track watching the stonechats again on route. Met several nice people today and more blog readers! I also met Jim Almond a photographer that has my dream lens, a 300 f2.8 lens. But after feeling the weight of that lens, I have changed my mind - its loads heavier than mine! No sign of the red backed shrike sadly. Had stupendous views of the Red-footed Falcon again and photographed it sitting on a post quite close. The RFF then flew into a sallow fairly close to the Nelson's Head track and attempted to shelter under a branch. It looked pretty miserable and stayed there for the hour and a half that I stayed here, every so often shaking the rain from its feathers and settling down again for another soaking! I left it still sitting in the tree at 3.30pm and walked back to the car. Had late lunch and coffee and change of clothes. I know we need the rain, but its getting a bit much now. Chatting with my parents later I found out that north, west Norfolk has not had the rain that the east has had at all! When I left Horsey the rain was seriously heavy and the roads around Sea Palling area were flooded in places. Please note: any photographers thinking of going over the fence - A: fence is electrified and B: there is a Bull in the field thats the size of a house and looks pretty evil!!!

Red-footed Falcon - looking pretty fed-up in the rain!


Honing Lock


A message on RBA today of a Golden Oriole singing early morning only at Honing Lock enticed me to find where this was. When I studied the map I realised that it wasn't too far away. It was quite difficult to find, but I am so glad I found it. No of course I didn't see or hear the golden oriole, but was a beautiful little spot. Crossed a wooden foot bridge and then stood at the lock which was like a scene from the past, picture postcard springs to mind. I followed the footpath the otherside of the lock through trees and bracken. The riverside path and the scenery was beautiful even more so because of the rain. Walked back the same way. Only heard a chiffchaff here. Chatting to my father this evening, he told me this was his regular haunt as a little boy (he used to live in North Walsham) - he said he went fishing there every weekend with his father!



Honing Lock. (iphone)


West Runton


Sat in the carpark having a coffee when the heavens opened again, exactly the same as last evening. Had 40 winks and when I looked at my watch is said 8pm!!!!! Had a look at the 'field' but nothing there apart from wood pigeons and a few skylarks and meadow pipits.


On arrival home I heard news of a Caspian Tern that had roosted in Thornham Harbour!!!

I also discovered on the net, which I totally expected, speculation and crap concerning MY roller. BOVERED? NO!!!!! Some people are not happy about the word 'probable' - well tough! Too busy to worry about what other people think! I will hope and pray that the Roller re-appears in Norfolk somewhere this weekend!

Good Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment