SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 6 March 2011

Titchwell RSPB

Titchwell RSPB looking across to Thornham Coal Barn.


Worked this morning which was an extra hard shift. Got home and cooked my equivalent to a roast dinner which consisted of boiled potatoes, sprouts, calibree, grilled nut cutlet and bisto vege gravy. When I was married I religiously cooked a proper roast dinner every Sunday. Now I only have a roast when my mother cooks one on Christmas Day! I can't be bothered just for myself and it takes up too much time. Even if I was with someone else it STILL takes too much time up!!! Roast dinners are for non-birders! Unless of course you have time to sit down in a pub to have one! Picked my sister Vivien up from the train station and dropped her at Holme to visit my parents.

It was fairly late in the afternoon when I arrived at Titchwell. I was so glad I dragged myself out though, I could have easily just fallen asleep in front of the TV! There was a huge selection of birds at Titchwell. The new cut reed pool areas alongside the main path contained several coots and moorhen happily feeding close by. A Cettis Warbler burst into song briefly. By the Island Hide there were several Teal, a couple of Ruff and a shoveler close to the path in the now raised muddy areas. From Parrinder Hide there were tons of waders etc including: Dunlin, Redshanks, Curlew also (from the left hand section of hide) big flock of Golden Plover, Teal, Wigeon, Shoveler, Shelduck, good numbers of Avocets, Pied Wagtails, Starlings. A huge gull roost including Black headed Gulls, Common Gulls and Herring Gulls. I searched through the gulls, but couldn't find a Med. Gull. Jackdaws, Carrion Crows, good numbers of Lapwing, 3 Marsh Harriers including a very striking male, Grey Plover, 2 Ringed Plovers. I have realised I need a mini tripod for my ED50 in the parrinder hide - will have to investigate this. Watched a beautiful red sun setting beneath strips of dark grey cloud. Didn't see any hen harriers coming into roost, but did see the three Marsh Harriers.

Picked Vivien up from Holme and dropped her back at the train station in Lynn. I went home and fell asleep in chair!



73 Blog Followers - Wow! Thank you all very much for your support!

1 comment:

  1. you had a 'roast' dinner BEFORE you went out?? Everyone knows birders cannot have a roast dinner until it's dark outside! Get yourself a slow cooker and it'll be ready by the time you get in, or a pressure cooker and bingo, it's done in 10 minutes. Failing that....a tall dark stranger who also happens to be a chef and a non-birder!

    ReplyDelete