SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 8 January 2011

An exciting day at Titchwell!

Afternoon sun from the new Parrinder Hide, Titchwell RSPB.


As I woke up early to the alarm, I peeped out of the curtains to dark, cloudy skies and pouring rain, so I carried on sleeping!

I was on my way to Cley. I have not been to Cley for ages. But a text from M.G. saying he was having 'Cracking Views of the Marsh Hawk' enticed me to divert at the Knight's Hill Roundabout to Thornham. Of course when I reached Staithe Lane in Thornham the Northern Harrier was of course gone!!! I should have known better really than to chase after this bird again!

Relocated to Titchwell RSPB. Although the frost and snow has now gone, it was still bitterly cold with a strong biting wind. Bumped into loads of familiar faces today including Dave and Jackie Bridges, Mike and Jackie, Eddie Myers, Steve Beal, Robin Abel, Mark G. and friends, Ray Kimber and also several 'blog' readers.






Water Pipit, from the new Parrinder Hide, Titchwell RSPB.


As I walked along the main path I realised I had under dressed and wished I had put my new hat on, but only had my hoody to pull over my hair! Another birder very kindly showed me the female Scaup which was right at the back of the scrape with a couple of Goldeneye. The sun had now come out and everything looked beautiful. All the ice has now disappeared and waders and duck were once again feeding on the pools. Had a wonderful time sitting in the new Parrinder Hide in the right hand section watching and photographing a Water Pipit feeding right along the edge, close to the hide in brilliant sunshine. Linnets were also feeding along the muddy bank and pintail and teal were in small reedy area. A birder and two children came into the hide and the two children who looked around 4 or 5 years old where having a whale of a time spinning round on the new seats! I moved into the other section of the hide to watch loads of Twite and Skylarks feeding on the muddy islands along with teal, wigeon, lapwing, golden plover etc. Phone call from M.G. to say he had just had an Iceland Gull flying along the beach and it was heading east towards the reserve - naturally I didn't see this either! Left the hide and further along the main path I watched and photographed a Herring Gull catching and eating a crab. When I got out to the end of the path the wind cut through you even more on the beach and I admit I was too cold to stand here very long - couldn't be bothered to get the scope out of the rucksack and I was starving hungry. Walked back along the main path and had lunch (note no dessert!) in the 'Feeding Station' which was wonderfully warm - I could have fallen asleep in here!

Dunlin, from the new Parrinder Hide.


Herring Gull with mid afternoon snack!


Little Grebe just surfaced with weed!


Left Titchwell and went to the quay at Brancaster Staithe in hope of seeing the Iceland Gull that was seen earlier, but no luck. Watched loads of turnstones, oystercatchers, black headed gulls and Brents feeding. Herring gulls were picking up mussels and dropping them to crack the shells.

Black headed Gull, Brancaster Staithe.


Herring Gull and Turnstone, Brancaster Staithe.


At a site east of Brancaster I saw a Marsh Harrier sitting on a tree, several Woodcocks flying over, a heron, a good number of Gadwall and watched two Bitterns coming into roost in the semi dusk.

Bittern coming into roost.

No comments:

Post a Comment