SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 28 December 2010

Bank Holiday Tuesday!

Chaffinch, Titchwell RSPB.


Got up early this morning and arrived at Green Lane, Thornham by 8.30am and stood and waited and waited and waited for the Northern Harrier to show, BUT it didn't! It was a very dull and gloomy day and it was very depressing waiting on my own in the cold with so little to see. But I did count 49 Curlews in the field behind me adjoining Green Lane along with a few lapwing. I could hear and also saw a few Fieldfares in the hedge next to me. Also saw 3 Marsh Harriers over the reed beds towards Titchwell and 2 Little Egrets.

Relocated myself to Staithe Lane and could see that the group of birders standing on the seawall were having the same bad luck as me. Gave up and went to Titchwell RSPB. Tons of finches feeding amongst the leaf mould along the opening to the picnic area including greenfinchs, goldfinches, and chaffinches. Was lucky to see the Woodcock again in the same place as last time, just to the right of the feeders the other side of the centre and also 1 Water Rail scurried away quickly out of the ditch off the main path. 3 Siskins feeding on Alder catkins round the Fen Trail.

Woodcock, Titchwell RSPB.


Chaffinch, Titchwell RSPB.


I am so fed with the fat squirrel and fat wood pigeons in my garden I decided to buy a 'Ground Bird Table' and 'Floor Cage' to go over it from the RSPB shop - the only problem is that there are four stakes with the cage to secure it to the ground, but I want it in my patio area - so I will see if the squirrel bothers to lift the whole cage up before I move it to soft ground which will be further away and not so visible.

Looked at the RBA website on iphone and the Northern Harrier had been seen at Brancaster Staithe from the harbour - had I got time to see it before returning to King's Lynn to get to work for a late shift starting at 2pm? hmmmmm...... yep - flew up the road to join other birders at 12.30pm to be told it was not in view now and had flown further east!!!!!! Bl**dy Bird - I am obviously not going to improve on my one and only naff photo of it!!! Left 12.35pm and it was now drizzling with rain all the way back to Lynn.

Last night the weather forecast for North West Norfolk was 'Heavy Snow', 'Light Snow' or 'Rain' on 3 different weather websites!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment