SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 7 November 2010

Holkham - Sun, Sea and Shorelarks!



Got up early and arrived at Holkham at 7.45am. Parked on the main road near the bus stop, which saves paying to park in Lady Anne's Drive! It was freezing cold this morning. The plan today was to attempt to see the Shorelarks that were seen recently and then walk to Wells. Reaching the main beach gap, I followed the path east. I spoke to another birder who had seen 50+ Twite and a Rough-legged Buzzard, but he had not seen any shorelarks. It was high tide and the creek to my left was lapping across the sandy path - to my right the sun streamed through the pine trees. It was a beautiful sunny day with fluffy white clouds and blue skies, but with a strong north east wind - it was only spoilt by too many out of control, yelping dogs. A huge flock of 70+ Snow Buntings could be seen distantly, near the dune side of the saltings. I walked as far as Wells Lifeboat station and then crossed over to the dunes and then followed the path inland of the dunes looking over the saltings. Suddenly I came across the Shorelarks, all 17 of them at 10am!!! But sadly they were very difficult to photograph as there was a large area of water between them and me! They looked spectacular in the sunshine. Several skylarks also about. When I reached the end of the dunes I realised I couldn't get back to the main beach gap path at Holkham because of the creek that runs from the sea to the saltings - walked out to the edge of the sea and crossed over the rippling waters. It was at this point I realised there was hardly any difference between walking back to the main beach gap or walking to the west end of Holkham pines. So I walked to the west end of the pine belt. I didn't have my telescope with me, so couldn't really do any sea watching, but did note a red-throated diver, shelduck and lots of brent geese all going west. Left the beach and followed the dune path, seaward side of the pines and on route I found several different toadstools and also some hibernating wasps in a dead pine tree. The only birds of note along here was a wren and a blackbird. Crossing over through the pines I had a good look round the dune hollows and although it was tempting to walk Burnham Overy Dunes, I decided to follow the path back through the pines. I could see a buzzard distantly sitting on a fence post out on the marsh, but it was too distant and hazy to see ID it correctly. Lots of starling flocks going west today I noted. Found a tit flock not far from the start of the walk back along the pines which included long-tailed tits, blue tits, and several goldcrests and also a female blackcap. I watched these for quite a while as didn't want to miss out on seeing any LTT's with white heads! Heard a green woodpecker and several fieldfares 'chacking', saw a sparrowhawk and also a small raptor which I attempted to photograph as it flew over my head, not sure what it was! Two little grebes were in Salt's Hole. At least 10 goldcrests in the sycamores by Washington Hide and I noted several more on the way back. Excellent views of a treecreeper not far from the end of the path, just before the top of Lady's Anne's Drive which I got some decent photos of. Got back to my car at 3.45pm.





HOLKHAM BEACH.


Meadow Pipit.


Female Blackcap.


Long tailed Tit.





Salt's Hole, Holkham.




Treecreeper.


Attempted to get to Titchwell to see the Pallas's Warbler, but on arrival I realised the light had gone completely, so gave up and headed home. After leaving Holme I turned left after the Hun Bridge (just after the Ringstead turn off) past Old Hunstanton Church/pond and had fantastic views of a Woodcock (5pm) which got up off the road and relocated itself in the alexanders in the verge to give me awesome views right next to the car window. The camera was of course in the boot! A bit further up the road a Little Owl sat in the middle of the road which forced me to do an emergency stop!!! This road then joins up with the main A149 in Hunstanton. I absolutely hate the clock being changed - the day now ends much too quickly!

Gutted that I have again missed out on seeing the possible Northern Harrier that was seen again today at Burnham Overy Marsh south west of Gun Hill! See thread now started on birdforum.net http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=185248

Roll on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment