SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 21 August 2010

BIRD FAIR - Day Two - Interviewed by Birdfair.tv!!!!!!

First picture I took this morning of Simon on the Carl Zeiss Stand!!!


On route to the Bird Fair, along the A47 I spotted a familiar car in front and as I passed it, I realised it was Eddie Myers!!! who I later saw at the Fair.

Parked in the Blue Carpark today - its getting very, very muddy everywhere now!

My plan today was to make sure I got a top seat in the Events Marquee for Simon King's talk 'Pish and Jizz' which started at 12.15pm. Last year I didn't even get near the marquee due to the fact that 'Just a Linnet' was on before Simon and people simply remained in their seats for Simon.


BIRDFAIR TV INTERVIEW

Went in the Optics Marquee to have a quick look at the Carl Zeiss stand to see what time Simon was doing signings today and he was already there! with a long queue of fans! Birdforum's Steve Kirk and Andy Bright were also there and I still couldn't get a smiley picture of Steve or any picture at all really come to that!!! I have not given up yet Steve!!! X Anyway I realised Birdfair.tv were also standing there and being as they had previously sent me a message to interview me I introduced myself. The man who had sent me the message (sorry can't remember his name) said he remembers visiting Holme Bird Observatory when my father was there, when he was about 10 years old. I really started to regret doing this interview - with Simon King behind me with tons of fans, Carl Zeiss reps standing the other side etc and the general mass of people around, I suddenly realised what I was doing!!!!!!! HELP!!!!! Charlie Moores of birdfair.tv was really good though and explained every step before we started to film. My interview was about the competition I had won and of course I mentioned birdforum.net and Carl Zeiss and how lovely the walk was with Simon etc etc and how wonderful the Fair was etc etc. I am almost certain I will look and sound absolutely awful and I said not to upload the video on to the site it if it was naff!!!!!!!

Could have done with a drink after that!!!!


JUST A LINNET


Went directly to the Events Marquee for 'Just a Linnet' chaired by Stephen Moss and taking part: Dominic Couzens, Chris Packham, Nick Baker and Derek Moore. I arrived in the marquee by 10.40am and it started at 11am - I luckily got a seat bang in the middle, third row from the front! The new Events Marquee is a massive improvement, now holds over 500 people, its huge now, beautifully laid out and air conditioned!!! Its a long time since I laughed that much - Stephen Moss was a first class chairman and the whole quiz was hysterically funny - in fact it was brillliant! Chris Packham was late and he got so much stick from Stephen about this throughout the quiz. Nick Baker was given sympathy points as he 'never presses the buzzer'. Derek Moore won the whole quiz!


The amazing new Events Marquee, now carpeted, air conditioned and holds 500 people!


The Crowd wait for 'Just a Linnet' to start.


The crowd waiting for 'Just a Linnet' and also for someone very popular directly after!


'Just a Linnet' chaired by Stephen Moss with a lady assistant.
Team comprised of: Dominic Couzens, Chris Packham,
Nick Baker and Derek Moore OBE.


The Quiz was brilliant and the team had the crowd in uncontrollable laughter - definately should be on the box, without question.







Photocall at the end.


SIMON KING - 'Pish and Jizz'

Simon King's talk started at 12.15pm and as ever he enthralled us with wildlife tales. He bought on stage a toilet u-bend that he used to mimic brilliantly a lion, a hoover tube, a piece of wood and a stone to mimic a female great spotted woodpecker and a metal watering can to mimic a red deer!!! Even though there was air conditioning, it was still quite hot in the marquee - Simon knows how to play the audience very well and knew the response he would get from the ladies when he suggested 'perhaps I should take my top off'!!!!!!!! he then pretended to be embarrassed - yeah right Simon!!!!! X A little lad was called up on stage to continue with his tawny owl impressions and Simon taught him how to leave a gap between the calls to make it more realistic. He also told us how to get a barn owl really close to you, by laying in a field of grass and squeaking like a vole and the barn owl will then almost certainly come down for the vole!!!!! Obviously I got lots of awesome pictures sitting so close! Simon left the stage at 1.15pm.

Setting the stage for Simon King.


The crowd awaits Simon King on stage.




Simon King.



Simon mimicking a Red Deer, using a tin watering can!


The crowd dispersing after Simon left the stage.


Lunch and the rest of the day

Met some Birdforum members by the food marquee 'constantwalker' and 'horukuru'.

Queued for lunch in the rain and also managed to get on the same table where I had sat with Simon yesterday! Suddenly spotted Ian Lewington in the food marquee and went over and got his signature for my 'Blokes and Birds' book. David Lindo was sitting nearby.

David Lindo having lunch in the food marquee.


The Food Court.

Rest of the afternoon: I gave in and bought the Camoflage Lens Kit from Stealth Wildlife for my 300 f4 lens. Bought a new birdcall whistle from Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust.

Went back to the car to dump my bag - just didn't want to carry it anymore. I decided to sit in the car for a while as felt tired, had a lovely 40 winks! It was now absolutely black skies and pouring with rain - timed that well! Half an hour later I walked back to the Fair - on route I photographed loads of swallows chattering away beautifully in the sunshine on a dead tree in the carpark - took a short video of them - they looked stunning against the now bright blue sky.

Swallows in the blue carpark.



Got some good photos of David Lindo by himself and with Alan Davies and Ruth Miller. Spent the rest of the afternoon photographing all the stands! The rain returned heavily! Trudged back to the carpark in mud and drove home.

David Lindo in the foreground.


David Lindo.

Me with David Lindo!

Ruth Miller, David Lindo and Alan Davies.


Crowds near the outdoor marquees.


Dean Eades, Photographer and Mike Dilger.

Tim and Irene Loseby on the Fair Isle Stand.


View from the Leica stand in the optics marquee.


This man suddenly walked into the marquee and started playing the bagpipes!


Hippo's!


Simon leaving at the end of the day accompanied by his sister Debbie.



HOT TIP FOR SUNDAY: WEAR WATERPROOF SHOES/WELLIES!!!!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Penny

    The guy who contacted you was Rob Llewellyn (me!) the guy you met was my business partner at Digital Spring, Rob Jolliffe. (not me!)

    We are editing todays footage and I have just seen the rushes of your interview and they look great. As we are still editing for Day 2, its likely they will make our film of Day 3 Wrap Up.

    If you DM me on twitter @birdfairtv we could meet up. You there tomorrow.

    More editing to do now. 4am finish this morning to produce this amazing piece of film http://www.birdfair.tv/2010/08/birdfairs-role-in-conservation/

    The guys we brought in to do this tubbybrother.co.uk shot it all on 35mm adapters to give it a real movie feel and the piece they have put together, I think, is really a different way to present conservation and birding at Birdfair. Take a look, we would love your thoughts.

    Rob L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Penny. Thanks for the kind words! I passed out last night before I could get a blog post up, but the photo I took of you looks great and I'll upload it soon (and you're a natural in front of a camera).
    Cheers. Charlie (Moores)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God Penny, we'll have to pay to speak to you now! Can I have your autograph?....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rob and Charlie

    Thanks!!!! Posted comment on birdfair.tv re: Day One Round up. I look forward to seeing my interview/video!!!! Is it going on today?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue - how funny!!!! Fame at last!!!! I will be autographing at Cley NWT Visitor Centre on......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Penny, nice to see your images. I think your "pigs" might be Hippo's! Bet your still on a high?

    Kevin (BF - Hippo)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kevin - OMG you're right!!!!

    ReplyDelete