SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 31 May 2010

FAIR ISLE - North Haven and New Observatory

Another beautiful sunny day. I managed to get up for trap round again this morning and walked the quickest way to the 'Chalet'. Saw a Spotted flycatcher on route at North Sherva at 6.45am - 37 oystercatchers were sitting in a field just after North Sherva. Also usual house sparrows, starlings etc etc. Simon was on trap round duty this morning and Barry and Cheryl also joined in again. Poor round this morning, producing only a robin, but Simon explained that it was a little unusual as it was very late for a robin. Very warm today, definately won't be needing a coat after breakfast.

Back at the South Light breakfast was more like a 3 course meal! I had a vege sausage, fish finger, 2 spring rolls, fried potatoes, baked beans, porridge, toast, bagels, jam, orange juice and tea!!!

Decided I would go to North Haven and have a look at the observator today. When I reached the 'Puffin' I bumped into Hollie (Deryk's wife) who hadn't changed a bit since I had last seen her in 2006, we had a hug, it was lovely to see her and her children all taller than when I last saw them. Hollie very kindy offered me a lift down to the obs as she was going down there anyway and offered to give me a guided tour. Becky Rosser who was an assistant when I was last there was also in the car and when we reached the obs, Louis was there!!! who is Assistant Cook at the obs and was when I last came - it was really nice to see them all. Anyway back to the new observatory - its huge and very posh - you could almost get lost inside. The bedrooms are spacious and very modern inside and the decor is beautiful. The interpretive room is massive. The dining room and library are virtually same layout as before, but the bar is bigger and looks more impressive. Hollie told me an old beam off the first Good Shepherd had been donated to them to display in the obs and they were going to place it above the bar. The dining room is a massive L shape. Boot room is huge and there is not a laundry room for visitors use (inc washing machine). You will be pleased to know the obs garden is still intact and held a Common Whitethroat whilst I was there. There are also now 'wader pools' in front of the obs aswell.

Spent over an hour taking landscape pictures of North Haven/beach and generally enjoying my favourite bit of the island. The beach here is so beautiful, white sands, coloured boulders, different coloured seaweeds, barnacles, artic terns fishing, eiders sitting close by and off course the Good Shepherd. I begrudgingly left here and made my way back for lunch. I saw a wren and a male blackcap in the fenced area of trees deep below more just before the Gully trap. In the Plantation I found a Garden Warbler.

Lunch consisted of Soup, bread rolls, the most scrumptious cheese scones I have ever tasted and fruit buns with butter and jam and fruit juice and tea.

Sat outside the lighthouse intending to seawatch for killer whales but fell asleep in the glorious sunshine instead until 3.30pm.

Walked to Stackhoull Stores and bought the beautiful new Fair Isle book 'Fair Isle through the seasons by Malachy Tallack and Roger Riddington which has only just been published this week - stunning photographs. Also bought a Simmer Dim Shetland Ale and a bounty bar. Walked as far as the Plantation again and saw the garden warbler again and also a female blackcap (ringed). When I got nearly as far as Schoolton I bumped into Josie who said did I know about the Icterine Warbler that was in Schoolton garden - obviously I didn't so checked with Elizabeth (owner of house) that it was ok to sit on her seat and there I sat with her beautiful elderly cat waiting for the Icterine to appear...... it was seen flicking about amongst the rhubarb - not any more it wasn't!!!!! Saw another spotted flycatcher just before the 'Haa'. Just made it back for evening meal at 7pm which consisted of soup, vege sausages and stuffing, baked potatoes, vegetables and home-made banoffee pie and ice-cream!!!

Josie kindly gave Richard (another birder) and I a lift to Schoolton to attempt to see the Icterine - it definately wasn't there as Richard 'pished' and rattled bushes all the way along the garden length!!! Richard walked off west to photograph the sunset and I marched back quickly to South Light..... really cold now.

The electricity goes off at 11.30pm each night, so will not have time to add any pics tonight. But will add some tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. WARNING.... WARNING. (claxon sounding) You have now reached your calorific quota for the whole fortnight. STOP NOW BEFORE YOU EXPLODE....the Good Shepherd cannot take this on the return journey! You will be refused a boarding pass (Claxon sounding) WARNING....WARNING....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny. Lets hope the birding is as good as the food!!!!!

    ReplyDelete