SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 31 January 2010

Cley and Salthouse - out birding at last!

Still don't feel well but just had to escape otherwise I would have flipped!

Still no computer so typing this one fingered on iPhone!

On route to Cley I had 2 common buzzards over the A148 just before the Little Snoring turn off.

Arrived Cley Visitor Centre - whilst queueing up for a chocolate fix (yes I know it's not included in Weightwatchers!) I was caught red handed by Pat who smiled and asked how the diet was going!!!!!!!

I also bumped into someone that told me some very sad news - a local lady birdwatcher had passed away recently.... she was an elderly lady but whatever someone's age it's still so very sad. My last memory of her was watching the Collared Pratincole at Salthouse last year and I remember how pleased she was at seeing it - I think we all were! God bless you X

I arrived at Walsey Hills carpark at around 2pm - after John Furse posted on Birdforum that the NOA had been carrying out more scrub clearance I thought I would have a look - most of the clearance done before was ok I suppose apart from the removal of the sycamore tree above the building and the closure of the end of the centre path, BUT the recent clearing has just ruined the whole look in my opinion - all the gorse either side of the steps that lead up to hide has been removed including the gorse where the Adders retreat back into!!!! It has always been very pleasant sitting on the seated bank to right of those steps, but this has also gone - sad. Maybe it will all look better in the spring but for now it looks hacked into and barron! Lost all it's character. Walking round I discovered the centre path is blocked by a massive fallen tree - I hope very much this will be cleared. The pond that was dug out last year has had nothing more done to it yet - I presume a liner of sorts will be put in and filled with water for spring migrants!

It was a beautiful afternoon with glorious sunshine and everything looked golden. Re-parked the car in East Bank carpark and walked out to the sea - solitary lapwings dotted about on route along with moorhens and greylags. A birder pointed a little gull in the very far distance, which to me was a white speck! Arnolds marsh: counted 30+ avocets, 56 black tailed godwits, shelducks, wigeon, teal, Dublin, redshank. Lots of gulls on the sea - not alot else though. Spoke to Pete Snook on the phone who told me that the snowbuntings were showing very well at Salthouse. Drove round to Salthouse beach carpark where the snowbuntings were indeed showing beautifully and looked even better through my Canon lens!!! Got some cracking shots but can't post them on here until I get my computer back from Kris! Also a turnstone here and 2 pied wagtails - thank you to whoever has been seeding the bank!!! After leaving here I had fantastic views of a barn owl on a post just after the Dunn Cow pub. It's most definately getting lighter in the evenings now - stopped the car just outside Cley to climb up the bank to view the windmill in the setting sun around 4.50pm!

Left Cley and just after Morston I had an awesome surprise of a Bittern flying directly over the car (going towards Cley) at 5.09pm!!! Cracking end to my short afternoon out BUT I was suffering now - if I had not have gone out I think I would have gone insane - it's not good mentally to spend too long by yourself!

Lemsip again - goodnight!

PICTURES TO BE ADDED WHEN COMPUTER IS BACK!

2 comments:

  1. You had a good day yesterday, that's great, well on the way to recovery now. Feels good to get out again doesn't it. Keep taking the lemsip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of Guinness's on your stop off to see 'Dublin' would have done you the world of good! Hope your better soon and family life improves for you.

    ReplyDelete