SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 15 June 2015

Marsh Warbler at Narborough Way, Norfolk!

I was so shattered when I got home from work, but was determined to make the effort to see the Marsh Warbler at Narborough. I made a quick tea, but then made the huge mistake of having a little rest on the sofa! Next thing I knew it was 8pm. But, I still went out! Local birders will be quite astounded to hear that I have never been to Narborough Way, which I feel very ashamed about to be honest. I had to phone Sue B. to ask for exact directions when I got to the Ship Inn, so embarrasing! Thanks for your help Sue!

As I walked along the river path, I was cross with myself for not visiting this delightful spot before. It was so beautiful, even late in the evening. I eventually came to the correct spot and immediately heard a goldfinch singing in the reeds!!! So that was it and the Marsh Warbler continued to sing on and off until 9pm, but sadly I didn't see it at all, which is totally my own fault for arriving at Mr MW's bedtime! Whilst peering through the reeds with my bins, I spotted a beautiful Banded Demoiselle on a reed stem, which was a nice surprise. Heard a Cuckoo calling and a Great Spotted Woodpecker flew overhead. A Blackbird singing ended my mini birding trip along with a midge festival! 

Ashley Banwell has a lovely video of the Marsh Warbler singing with its wonderful choir of birds.

The Blakeney Point Paddyfield Warbler is in the Eastern Daily Press, which incidentially hasn't been seen today, neither has the Blyth's Reed Warbler. So now we will have to wait for James, Kevin or Andy et al to find something else for us – please give us a few day's break to recover first though please! My shoes are still wet from yesterday and the pager is only partly working, it says the battery is low, which it isn't as I put a brand new one in and still says 'low battery' – I will give it the chance to dry out for another day, after that I will have to have little chat with the RBA staff for assistance.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh... Oi gart a bit parzzled thar....
    had to look it up, even!!
    You are writing about the Narborough section of the Nar Valley Way...
    and not what I first thought...
    the Narborough railway line, the NWT reserve.

    Both are "bootiful"... and my bro' haunts them regularly...
    Canon in hand... and has got some great pictures at both places...

    Arriving there late, tho', you probably got the best of the evening chorus...
    it has been very loud here!

    Cuckoos are still calling here... normally we are quiet after the end of May...
    but all sorts of birds nested late this year...
    which I think is why Pauline managed to pick over 4 Kilos of Redcurrants...
    and we still have some cherries left...
    but the Blackcaps really are trying to even up the score there...
    also the Crows... and the Blackbirds... have now joined in.
    'Tis sunny today, the ground still too wet to work...
    30mm in 30hrs... 56 since the rain started...
    and very glad not to have got the 70mm forecast...
    so cherry harvesting and processing called for...

    We get both the Banded and Beautiful Demoiselles here...
    we are well wooded at the weir end, the easternmost point...
    and the millstream flows slowly there as well...
    perfect for the Beautiful....
    it is open, shallow and fast outside the kitchen and lounge windows...
    perfect for the Banded...
    but, this year we have a lot of Beautifuls outside the kitchen window...
    and greater numbers of the Banded towards the west end of the meadow....
    I think the larvae got pushed down by the force of the water this winter.

    We didn't flood across the meadow...
    for a change...
    but the millstream was in spate for about three months...
    but...
    as the females of both have been laying outside, it is going to be interesting to see how they re-adjust to their favoured habitats!!

    Good luck with the pager...
    you can get silica gel drying bags for small apparati...
    phones and the like...
    dirt cheap and re-useable...
    cook them in the microwave / normal oven to redry the gel...
    I use a polythene Ziplock bag and one of the clothes cupboard sized bags we got from Lidl...
    takes larger items.

    Keep taking the dried frog pills...
    and visiting "bootiful" places,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete