SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Friday 11 October 2013

Rain, Wind, Rolling Waves & A Rustic Bunting!

SNOW BUNTING
Garden Drove, Warham Greens.

I had everything packed up to go to Sheringham this morning, but I was so tired from work, I just couldn't get up that early! So opted for Cley instead. Quite a bit of storm damage on route along the A148 with branches and trees strewn about.

Cley Coastguards
At Coastguards, Cley the tidal pool was much deeper than normal and required mega slow driving through, which was very difficult for me! The waves were rolling and the rain was lashing down and it all looked exciting and dramatic. But, sadly whilst I was there, I only saw a few gannets! Several birders who had been here yesterday, said it was completely different today and most people I spoke to had not seen very much at all off the sea. I was toying with the idea of walking Blakeney Point, but changed my mind and decided to attempt to find some sheltered spots for migrants.

Stiffkey Campsite Wood
Mark Golley was also here, so we searched for rares together. Mark found a Firecrest in a sycamore which I only saw a flight view of – it wasn't playing ball! Other birds seen: a Goldcrest, Great and Blue Tits, Goldfinches, Jackdaws (including two 'Eastern' ones), Green Woodpecker, Jay and lots of Pied Wagtails on a ploughed field. Mark saw a Woodcock briefly (I didn't). We decided to continue our search at Garden Drove at Warham Greens.

Garden Drove, Warham Greens
Chiffchaffs x 2, male Blackcap, Goldcrests x 4, Great and Blue Tits, Chaffinches, Robins, a couple of Redwings, a Blackbird, Mistle Thrushes x 8 (flew over pig field). Bumped into Oliver R. and friends who had seen the Leach's Petrel at Stiffkey (congrats) and had seen Firecrests at Wells. Mark chatted with a birder he knew called Nick Watmough and also Graham Clarke, whilst I continued to attempt to pish out some rares from the copse and hedgerows. Nick and Graham then left and Mark and I continued as far as 'The Pit'. I was convinced we would find something good in there, as it was one of the very few places in Norfolk today, which was sheltered from the winds – but all we found was a robin! When we got back to the copse at the end of Garden Drove, the pager bleeped up with 'RUSTIC BUNTING at Garden Drove....... at 3.30pm' OMG!!!! It was now 3.45pm. Here we were, in the right place at the right time!!!! We speed walked up the track and past the concrete pad to find the bird and finders. The finders were Nick Watmough and Graham Clarke! Wow, so exciting. Full account on Graham's Blog here and also picture of me with other birders looking for the RB. We were first on the scene. Nick and Graham had flushed the bunting as they left, driving down the track. They searched for the bird, seeing it again landing on the track were Graham managed to photograph the bird. We stood and waited, viewing the whole length of the track. It amazes me, how so many people turn up so quickly after that pager message has gone out! Approximately 50+ people here by the finish. Very frustratingly, there was no sign of that mega bunting at all, sooooo annoying, but that's how it goes. We bumped into James Mc. who had been out to East Hills all day – he told us he had seen a few Ring Ouzels, Woodcock etc but nothing mega found. I walked back up to the track to my car alone and got seriously excited when a single bunting flew up from the field just east of the concrete pad, my heart was thudding and then the bird landed. I took pictures before it sunk in that it was in fact a Snow Bunting! Don't get me wrong, it was a fabulous bird, but I simply hadn't expected to see this bird here, and thought I had something really good – just for a few nano seconds!!! I walked up to the derelict buildings and the Snow Bunting had re-located to here. A Reed Bunting was also seen briefly. These buildings are always worth searching as there are several enclosed old stone walls with brambles, elder and nettles in – an excellent sheltered spot to find that one mega bird, maybe, one day.
 Birders waiting to see the Rustic Bunting!

I gave Mark a lift back to Cley and then I ended the day at Salthouse Beach Carpark at 6.30pm – almost dark now! I climbed up the single bank and walked down to the sea to breathe in the salt spray and stood watching the rolling waves crashing down on the shingle. Gulls glided in the winds over my head. I have come to the conclusion that I may never see a Leach's Petrel – my boogie bird.

Have a fabulous weekend everyone. See you all at the Mega!!! Or maybe several, who knows! Lets hope everyone gets out in the field to search. There are birds to be found, we just need to get out there. Don't sit looking at the pager – get out there and find your own. Oh and just to add – NO SUPPRESSION PLEASE!

No comments:

Post a Comment