SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 21 July 2013

Birding at Cley!

I was woken up at 8.30am by a text. Now, after having 4.5 hours sleep I really should have sat and chilled ready for my afternoon shift. But that would be far too sensible! Flew in the shower and got out of the door pretty quick and headed to Cley. I wasn't going to miss out on any Two-barred Crossbill action that may occur this morning!

I arrived at Cley Deli and bought my usual scrumptious Pear and Ginger Cake and then went to Coastguards, arriving at just before 10.30am. Joined Mark G. and Graham E. who were sea-watching and had seen a Pom Skua and several Arctic Skuas. Lots of jovial banter going on, which was a good start to the morning! I watched 7 Gannets going east and a raft of approx. 15 Common Scoter. There was no sun out today and it was considerably cooler, which was really nice! I walked to the pill box and gazed at the fence posts, where the stunning male Two-barred Crossbill was found by Steve G. yesterday. I plodded through the shingle and yellow-horned poppies and walked almost up to North Hide and back to the carpark. A family of Avocets were dozing on the edge of the Eye Pool, but no other birds of note really.

Had a look round Walsey Hills NOA, but no Crossbills were found or anything else really. None of the feeders had seed in or on the bird table, so few birds around here.

Relocated to Salthouse, Gramborough Hill for the 1pm influx!!! One Reed Bunting, Meadow Pipit, 2 Goldfinches and several Sand Martins. I also had a juv. Little Gull flying east along the shoreline. A Grayling was posing on a large stone at the bottom of Gramborough Hill. Walked back to the car and felt absolutely wrecked. I just didn't know how I was going to drive home, never mind work a 6 hour shift.

I arrived home with 20 minutes to turn myself around for work. Powered through a crazy, crazy shift – tough 'ol Norfolk gal me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment