SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 30 June 2013

Tigers in the Dunes!!!

Titchwell RSPB Reserve

I spent a wonderful day at this top reserve and didn't leave until just before 10pm!

Firstly it was extremely hot birding today, like REALLY HOT!!! Too hot to be out in the sun with no cover, but hey ho! After reading Warden, Paul Eele's fascinating account HERE of his recent count of 265 Dune Tiger Beetles at Titchwell, I was looking forward to finding some myself.

There were huge numbers of birds here today, hundreds of Black-tailed Godwits and Bar-tailed Godwits, Spotted Redshanks of which I counted 6 at least, Little Gulls, Common Terns including one with big fluffy chick, Little Terns, Sandwich Terns, Red-crested Pochards, Ringed Plover, flocks of Starlings swarming through the skies, Marsh Harriers, a juv. Chiffchaff, young Jays who were quite tame, Avocets, Redshanks, Knot, Oystercatchers, Lapwings, Cetti's Warbler and a Bittern flew over east. Also lots of cute ducklings around and loads of other birds! Swifts and Sand Martins flying over the bank, Reed Buntings singing on top of sueda and also Sedge and Reed Warblers.

I teamed up later on with John F. and Eddie M. to search for Dune Tiger Beetles! We walked along the main path and then headed west towards Thornham Point. On route Eddie informed John and I that he had split his trousers after walking up a dune – I was in stitches – made my day! Sorry Eddie but it did! John's jokes increased ten fold after this amusing event, as you can imagine! We had to walk as far as Thornham Point before I found some. I knew that if there were any, they would be in this particular spot, an area of shingle and sand at the far end of the sea buckthorn. I fondly remember my father photographing some in this exact spot, many years ago. My goodness, they moved like grease lightning! There were about 12 Dune Tiger Beetles all scurrying around and they were a real challenge to photograph, but managed to get some shots both with the 300f4 and Macro 100 f2.8 lens. John and Eddie walked on ahead of me whilst I got the macro lens out.

I walked back along the beach amongst the razor wreck and found a massive razor shell, which I wish I had picked up now, it was twice the size of the other shells! It was so hot, that I struggled even to walk back along the beach! Back at the 'Feeding Station' I joined John and Eddie for refreshments and I couldn't resist having a Magnum ice-cream, yummy!

I spent absolutely ages in the picnic area photographing a Red Admiral, Speckled Wood, bees, damselflies and other insects. Also a tame robin here who was in a very poor state – all of his neck feathers were missing on one side, maybe he had had a lucky escape!? Eddie and John had departed east. Went back to my car to have tea and a snooze.

Walked round the Fen Trail, loads of orchids out and also Ragged Robin. The star of the day was a exceptionally cute Water Vole who swam across the pool and then sat on the grass next to the board walk and proceeded to have a wash 'n' brush up right in front of me!!! Awesome! Unfortunately though, because of the angle of the fence I was unable to photograph this event! Managed also to get a photograph of a very noisy young Jay sitting in the nearby willow tree.

I spent the rest of the evening photographing Spotted Redshanks, Black-tailed Godwits and Avocets etc from Island Hide. The light was spectacular this evening and I had the hide all to myself. There was so many birds and so much action here. Loads of starlings flying round and Terns twisting across the skies. Also I have never seen so many black-tailed godwits together here before! A wonderful day even though it was far too hot. I left just before 10pm!

PHOTOGRAPHS TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment