SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 18 November 2012

Waxwing kicks off the day!!!

I was up early this morning – it was very frosty and it took ages to defrost the car. I could see that it was going to be a beautiful day with glimmers of sunshine starting to appear from the horizon. I was torn between going to Thetford, in hope that the Black-bellied Dipper would reappear or to head East to take another look at the Surf Scoter in better light. As it happens neither birds appeared today and neither did the Rose-coloured Starling at Northrepps! I made the decision to head East which was the right choice.

As I started to drive along the A148 from the Knight's Hill roundabout, the light was incredibly beautiful – shimmers of yellow sunlight appeared through the mist and silhouetted hedges and trees created a stunning scene. I pulled off the road along a single track, dead end road (the first one off the A148) to stop to take a picture. I crossed the road to take a few pictures and then returned to the car. I then turned behind where I had parked to watch several goldfinches in a tree and also some greenfinches. I then spotted a much larger bird sitting on a oak tree - a Waxwing silhouetted against a perfect blue sky – Wow! I was so excited to find my first WAXWING of the autumn (7.45am)!!! What an excellent start to the day! I couldn't really get close enough to photograph this bird well, but got a half decent shot. The bird flew across to the hawthorn berries to feed – quite unusual to watch a single bird, I couldn't find any more though. I also found two bramblings and a mistle thrush sitting in a tree.

WEYBOURNE
I continued along the A148, through Holt and on to Weybourne. I parked up by the cemetery and walked along the track by the windmill down to the coastguard cottages and then walked east. It really was a spectacular day, the light was just beautiful. The sea looked amazing and I just knew I was going to have a good day, even if I didn't see many birds. I soon clocked several birds on the sea – a little gull flew east, at least 2 red-throated divers, including one sitting on the sea almost next to the shingle! A nice surprise of a Slavonian Grebe, guillemot x 2, a raft of 35 common scoter which I carefully looked through – they were all the same! Several skylarks overhead and also meadow pipits. 5 Snow Buntings appeared on the shingle beach just below me! Further along I had a male and a female colour-ringed Stonechat. Also 5 more little gulls (going west this time). I heard from other birders that the Richard's Pipit was pretty elusive due to the fact that it was being flushed continuously from walkers, birders, joggers etc, so I didn't bother going any further along the coast path. There were huge numbers of walkers and dogs around – the sun had bought everyone out in force today.

ART CAFE, GLANDFORD
Chatting on the phone to Eddie we decided to meet up for lunch at Cley NWT Visitor Centre, but on arrival the whole carpark was full, so I managed to persuade Eddie to go to the Art Cafe at Glandford next to CleySpy. I had the same scrumptious soup and roll I had last time (I have counted it into my WW Points!). Eddie said the food was 'reasonable' – his favoured description of most food!

NORTHREPPS
I wanted to go to Northrepps, just in case the Rose-coloured Starling was still about and Eddie decided to join me, so off we went. Parked up by the church and walked round the village. We did find a fairly big group of starlings sitting on telegraph wires, but no pale ones were seen.

CROMER
Ended the day at Cromer Pier to count SHAGS and found 15. Several turnstones running around on the pier amongst loads of people! The shags were very difficult to count, as you couldn't walk right to the end of the pier, but we counted at least 15. Took some naff photos. It was tantalising smelling fish 'n' chips! Walked back up some steps to get back to the car, flushing blackbirds and a robin on route. Dropped Eddie off at Cley V.C. to retrieve his bike!

Back at home I watched X-Factor results – I wished I hadn't, couldn't believe that James and Ella were in the bottom two – something seriously wrong there.

Main Highlights in Norfolk – RBA
Black-bellied Dipper at Thetford – no sign
Surf Scoter at Weybourne – no sign
Rose-coloured Starling at Northrepps – no sign
Great Northern Diver at Hockwold Washes
Long-tailed Duck x 4, Velvet Scoter, Water Pipit at Titchwell
Richard's Pipit, Slavonian Grebe at Weybourne
Taiga Bean Goose x 19, Eurasian White-fronted Geese x 37 at Cantley
Jack Snipe at Kelling
Hen Harrier at Strumpshaw
Firecrest in Norwich
Crossbills x 4 at Hunstanton
Great White Egret, 26 Common Cranes, Hen Harrier at Hickling
Snow Buntings and Waxwings at various locations

60 Shags roosted at Hunstanton Cliffs tonight, Andy Brown reported

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment