SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 9 September 2012

Severe traffic delays and the Barred Warbler!

I decided to leave my house at 6pm to go to Holme to attempt to see and photograph the elusive Barred Warbler. As I turned onto the A149 at Knight's Hill roundabout I was shocked to see a queue of traffic coming from Hunstanton (south bound). As I continued along the road, the traffic back log was the worst I have ever seen here, even worse than a bank holiday – I could not believe that this queue continued as far as The Methodist Chapel on the main road at Hunstanton!!! Unbelievable!

Parked up just past the pay hut at Holme and looked for the Barred Warbler. It was in here, no doubt and I saw it bomb across a couple of times, but not once did I see it posing anywhere, not even for a nano of a second! Stood on the Hun Bridge in the dusk in the vague hope of seeing an otter maybe, well you never know! Visited my parents and chatted with them until 9.30pm as no point in going home early, the traffic jams I saw would take hours to disperse.

The traffic had cleared but was stationary when I reached the Dersingham bypasss, so turned round and went through Snettisham on the old road, through to Dersingham and at the traffic lights turned left, through West Newton and then came out on the A148 at Roydon, and up to the Knight's Hill roundabout and straight home – this was an excellent move!

Main Highlights in Norfolk today - RBA
Ortolan Bunting, Red-backed Shrike and 20 Whinchats at Winterton
Barred Warbler at Holme
Pectoral Sandpiper, Garganey and Caspian Gull at Cley NWT
38 Common Cranes, Horsey Mere


No comments:

Post a Comment