SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 30 August 2012

Cley and Sheringham after Work!!!!!

Cley – Coastguards
Seawatching was going to be awesome today I decided - why does work get in the way!!! With North West winds all day and gales of up to 50mph this afternoon, I couldn't wait to finish work. I shot out of the door dead on time and bombed home to pick up birding gear. I was out of the house 15 minutes later and munched on toast and vegemite on route to Cley. I arrived just after 6pm! Lots of cars in the carpark on my arrival and a good number of people seawatching. I was rewarded immediately with 2 Arctic Skuas flying across the beach and over the Eye Field even before I got out of the car! I opened my door and it felt like it was going be ripped off the hinges, the wind was that strong and the same when I opened the boot. I was nearly blown over (that's a laugh!) anybody lighter would have been for sure! I struggled just to get things out of the car! To my annoyance, even though I had had the sense to dress for a serious winter's day, with all thermals and water proofs on etc I had forgotten something very important - my step!!!! Yep, I had forgotten my brilliant wrought iron seawatching step – so as I stood there, I could only see a few inches of sea in my view. It was far to windy to stand up on the shingle. Saw a few arctic skuas and bonxies going by and just caught a glimpse of one of the Manx Shearwater's that Eddie had picked up, but most of the passage had tailed off by the time I got there. R.M. had seen a long-tailed skua earlier I heard. News of Sheringham's seawatch came across the pager and I decided to relocate. At least I would have a better view I decided. So off I went.

Sheringham - The Leas
Parked up and battled my way down to the shelters. It was exhilarating. I just love this place! Massive rolls of surf were crashing down onto the shingle and I almost hesitated about walking down there to be honest. But I couldn't resist! I wouldn't say the shelters were quite full, but my goodness anyone going down there in the morning will have to get there mega early to get a seat!!! As I walked into the shelters Stuart W. informed me with a smile that I had just missed a Leach's Petrel 'by 5 minutes' - story of my life that, missing Leach's Petrels!!! But it did make me feel slightly better when he then added that it had only been seen by one observer. I saw very little whilst here - too late now and the light ws going, did see some fulmars, a guillemot close in, a few arctic skuas and bonxies, but nothing else. I also discovered that my new 'Orange' phone doesn't have a signal here either! So no 'Vodaphone' or 'Orange' - what the hell does work in these shelters?!!! The sunset was stunning and the waves were awesome and even though I didn't see much I was really glad I came - I especially love Sheringham and even more so when there is a chance of something special. I stayed until around 7.40pm (I think) then flew back to Cley to try and see a Red-necked Phalarope that had appeared on the pager. Rang Eddie on route to see if it was still there and luckily it was.

Cley NWT

Parked the car in the semi-darkness and ran across the road and along the board walk in pouring rain and winds. As I ran I asked myself what the hell I was doing, running in the rain in what was almost dark now, to see the silhouette of a bird!!!!! Complete madness!!! Anyway, I dived into the hide, puffing and panting like an old lady, to see Eddie - or at least I presumed it was - yep it was and he had the scope on the bird for me - I was lucky enough to see the Red-necked Phalarope at 8.04pm!!! Very lucky indeed. Heard a Common Sandpiper. There were also two Spoonbills very closer to the hide. Tons of gulls and other waders, but they were all just images now!

Cruised home and then found out about some incredible bird news - see next post!

Bird News in Norfolk today (RBA):
Havn't got time to list all birds seen today on sea passage but briefly:
94 Great Skuas, 138 Arctic Skuas, Long-tailed Skua, Leach's Petrel at Sheringham.
4 Pom. Skuas, 50 Great Skuas, 78 Arctic skua at Blakeney Point.
6 Sooty Shearwaters, 60 Arctic Skuas, 15 Great Skuas, 2 Arctic Terns, 16 Skua sp. at Holme.

Also see Norfolk thread on Birdforum here.

Osprey seen at Holkham, Blakeney and Cley.
Red-necked Phalarope found by ETM at Cley NWT.
Common Rosefinch reported at Holme NWT.

PICTURES and VIDEO TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment