SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 4 August 2012

ALPINE SWIFT lights up my day!!!

ALPINE SWIFT
Beeston Bump, Sheringham


I didn't leave the house early as I was watching the Olympics - I have been enjoying watching this so much from the day it started - it has been enthralling to watch.

I cruised to Sheringham arriving around 1pm. Parked the car and trudged up to Beeston Bump. It was a beautiful sunny day. On reaching the top of the the hill, I discovered that the Alpine Swift had not been seen since about 11am. I wasn't too upset as I felt sure it would be seen again. Pete Dolton was here along with a few other birders and Andy W. also then joined us. Andy had dipped on the bird last night and got soaked in the rain for his efforts! We stood here until the black skies enveloped us. As someone commented 'no point in getting soaked for an Alpine Swift'. I needed my lunch now anyway, so walked back down the hill back to my car for my lunch. I had to run the last few yards and just made it into the car before the heavens opened! It absolutely poured with rain for about 2 hours. Andy W. sent me a text saying he was drenched and still hadn't seen the bird. I sat in my car smugly eating my lunch and drinking tea. There is something very cosy about sitting in the car when its raining. It was going to rain for a long time I decided so wound the seat down and dozed.

I could hear the rain easing off and as I started to awake from my luxurious nap I could see the skies looked much brighter with a hint of sunshine. When the rain finally stopped I got out of the car and could see Andy W. standing at the end of the tarmac road, having returned again for this bird. Another birder who had also been having a nap in his car during the rain said that when he woke up and looked out of his car window, the Alpine Swift was just above him - he showed me the picture on his camera. It wasn't anywhere to be seen now! I plodded back up to Beeston Bump and on route saw and photographed a Comma. Andy W. had left now as he had arranged to meet someone, which mean't I had a good chance of seeing it! Not too long after I got to the top of the hill the Alpine Swift was picked up again by Pete Dolton (thanks Pete!). Awesome views of this bird magestically hurtling over our heads at such great speeds it was almost impossible to photograph. It really was taunting us when it flew over our heads, flying too close to get pictures. The skies were beautiful now and later on the light was just perfect for photography. I stayed watching and photographing this bird until 7pm. Eddie came and joined me later and Andy W. eventually got to see this bird. Unfortunately 5 people flying kites arrived on the hill and this mean't the bird did not cruise over us again until they left. Best views of a Alpine Swift I have ever had and in the most spectacular setting. I left at 7pm and went via Holt's fish 'n' chip shop for vege burger and chips. Got home just in time to watch the most amazing athletes perform at the Olympic Stadium.









ALPINE SWIFT
Beeston Bump, Sheringham


Comma Butterfly.

3 comments:

  1. The alpine swift did not show on Friday evening until 840pm. Rang RBA to confirm bird was back at the Bump at dusk.

    I did not venture too far from the car on Nelson Road until after the thunder storm had passed.

    ReplyDelete