SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 15 October 2011

East Hills - err, no the Saltmarsh, no Garden Drove, no, no East Hills!!!!!!

Today's title is written by E.T.M. & approved by me!!!

I notice there is a massive debate going on about the releasing of news on the Rufous-tailed Robin on Birdforum. I have hardly read any of it, as don't have the time right now. I have heard several things, which if true are very sad indeed. BUT I am not going to say on here what, OR state my opinion for the reasons below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last time I stated my opinion about a rare bird on my blog, (how dare I write my opinion on my own blog!!!) I got ripped apart on a 'private' discussion group (you know who you are) - not only ripped apart, but written about in such a sick way, it made me want to throw up. It was hugely distressing to read, and I was at a complete loss as to why people I had never met, had written such things (I've got a pretty good idea who lit the fire though). The sad thing is - those people don't even know me. They have never met me. What have I ever done to any of these people? Nothing, nothing at all. Remember - everything you write on the net is public, absolutely everything. Several people informed me of what was being written including a female I know, (was surprised she was on such a group, but each to their own). To those people - I was going to send you all a message/email personally to ask you why?, but as I know you all read my blog, it was less effort on my part, to write here for you all to read on mass. Oh and don't worry I won't ever name 'names' publicly - not my style. Just imagine for a moment, that those words had been written about YOUR wife, girlfriend, sister or daughter - how would you feel? Angry, yep - bit of a understatement, the word 'angry' don't you think?!!! Please feel free to apologise by email - lets see if any of you are man enough to do this. If you don't think you should apologise, then please seek help immediately.

UPDATE:
I have received two emails on 17/10 so far.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

RUFOUS-TAILED ROBIN TWITCH - Round 2
Parked up at Stiffkey Campsite carpark pre dawn and walked along the coastal footpath with torch!!! It was absolutely freezing and I decided I must be completely bonkers, walking in the pitch black alone, to attempt to see a first for Britain that more than probably wouldn't be there now anyway. It had been a clear night, which was good for the bird, but not good for anyone else! It killed me to get up so early on very little sleep, but I was determined to be there first thing this morning. I arrived at the end of Garden Drove (Eddie joined me later). A sensible organised search was carried out first, with two people walking down either side of the field and three people along the main path and then everyone searched, but alas no sign of the bird. Huge thanks to LGRE (just read his website) who organised the masses etc on site. It was nice to see "Big Jake" and his wife here! Exciting news came through of a Red-flanked Bluetail at Holme Bird Observatory and also a Bluethroat at Stiffkey Fen!!! We decided to give up seeing all these birds to find our own!

EAST HILLS
with Eddie, Simon C. and James G. - 12pm
2 Lapland Buntings
on the way out. Few blackbirds, 3 male and 1 fem. Blackcap, 2 Chiffchaffs, robins, linnets, goldfinches, wrens, goldcrests. Nowhere near as much action as our last visit. Highlight of the day was a Short-eared Owl just as we were leaving. James Mc. Had a YBW but we didn"t see it. It seemed to take forever to walk back - it's been a long day!!!

Also in Norfolk today was a Radde"s Warbler ringed at Weybourne, a Ring Ouzel and Black Redstart at Holme and several Richard Pipits along the coast.

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment