SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 9 July 2011

Golden Oriole heard!

Cley Windmill from Wiveton Downs.


Got up late today and didn't arrive at Cley until lunch time.

A very tall ladder, an art sculpture, has been positioned on the marsh opposite Cley NWT Visitor Centre.

Wiveton Downs - and Blakeney Esker - first time I have actually been here. Fabulous place and stunning views of Cley! I had arranged to meet up with Pete S. Whilst waiting for Pete, I walked along the public footpath and on reaching the wide seat, I walked down the hill to the bottom path - shortly after this I heard a golden oriole call - I listened, and heard it again, much clearer and much closer now!!!!! I put my hand in my pocket to ring Pete and the penny dropped..... PETE!!!!!!!!!! Pete Snook does the best golden oriole call I have heard - can't believe he got me, especially when I KNOW how good his G.O. call is AND knowing that he was turning up any minute, how blond is that! I had a few choice words for Pete when I climbed to the top of the hill, I can tell you! He was roaring with laughter (ha bl**dy ha Pete!) Can't believe I fell for that! Saw 7 Crossbills flying over, a family of bullfinches, 2 Purple Hairstreaks (which did not settle once for the camera), red admirals, speckled wood and a tortoiseshell , a little gull and 2 marsh harriers.

Cley Church from Wiveton Downs.


Went to NWT Visitor Centre for a cup of tea and then sat on the shingle at Coastguards to wait for Pacific Swift seen at Spurn Point and Gibralter Point this afternoon!!!!! Several little terns and sandwich terns flying west with fish. Saw Mike, Jacky and Eddie M. in the carpark.

Walsey Hills - you now cannot access the bottom public footpath, completely enclosed with bracken.

Daukes' Hide along with Eddie M. 3 Med Gulls, a Yellow legged Gull, several spoonbills, 2 green sandpipers and a cracking thunderstorm, followed by sun and a stunning rainbow! Lots of black tailed godwits, lapwings, marsh harriers, cormorants, pied wagtails, little egrets, barn owl, avocets, black headed gulls, little ringed plover, several ruff, reed warblers, sedge warblers, shelducks and a massive flock of starlings landed briefly on the fence wires, chattering away and then flew off on mass.


Black tailed Godwits in the rain, Dauke's Hide, Cley NWT.


Marsh Harrier, Cley NWT.


Rainbow, Dauke's Hide Cley NWT.


Pat's Pool, Cley NWT.


I had intended on going to the finale at Festival Too, but couldn't be bothered in the end!

When I got home I could hear the festival anyway!!!!! It was louder than last night!

I notice on RBA that the Eagle Owl is still around at Hunstanton!

No comments:

Post a Comment