SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 1 June 2011

Another crap beginning, but huge improvement by afternoon!

Avocet catching a fish at Redwell Marsh Hide.


Overslept again! Now I shouldn't really confess to this but it will make people laugh I suppose - after packing car up, I was just about to set off when I realised my trousers had split (Ha ha ha) - I knew the material was getting thin, combined with the fact that they are not exactly loose any more!!! So had no choice but to go into town to buy new trousers. Stopped at the post office to get car tax etc on route. Found a really nice cotton/linen khaki green colour in 'Peacocks' and when I got to the till I got an absolute bargain - they should have been £22.00 but I was only charged £12.00!!! Left the shop and went into Westgate department store which said it is closing down!!!!! Bought a pair of comfortable sandals which were considerably reduced and decided to wear them there and then and carry my walking boots in bag as it was now boiling hot. Got out my purse to pay and to my horror realised I had must have left my bank card at the previous shop. So there I was standing in a pair of sandals I had not paid for yet - the shop assistant looked after my stuff - I took off the sandals and decided that every second counted and did not want to waste time faffing about putting on socks and walking boots, so ran bare foot through the town (got some funny looks I can tell you) to 'Peacocks'!!!!!! As soon as I reached the till, the shop assistant said 'don't worry we have your card'. Heart stops racing and then walked back to Westgate hoping that no one really notices that I am barefoot! Bought the sandals and then went into Millets to find a much better pair of 'Karrimor' Sandals for £34.99 which is cheap for serious walking sandals - another pair in there were £79.00! Really wish I had not bought the ones in Westgate now, I might try and take them back! The town was full of screaming children, mother's with bags and bored husbands - typical town scene really. Got out of town quickly and then went to Holme to deliver shopping to my parents. On arrival at my parents house, my father was in his usual summer attire of sun hat, shirt and normally shorts, but today it was 'swimming trunks' - thats what he called them anyway - they looked like pants to me!!!

Holme Bird Observatory - Sophie was busy at the computer when I arrived and we had a good old girly chat and I congratulated her on her first day as Warden! A mistle thrush was sitting on the tree at the bottom of the path and in fact there had been three sitting there earlier.

Parked the car by Redwell Marsh Hide and walked the river path to the static caravan opposite 'Sandy Ridge' or the Collared Flycatcher spot (now you know where I mean!) I scanned into the tall sycamore and popular trees and tried to magic up another mega for Holme, but alas nothing. BUT a little while later whilst standing by the gate and trying to recollect exactly which branch the Collared Flycatcher had been sitting on when I first saw it with David, a Spotted Flycatcher appeared in my bins!!!!!! Brilliant! I phoned Sophie to let her know - she didn't need to answer the phone as she then drove up alongside where I was standing! Looking up into the trees again the Spotted Flycatcher had disappeared completely! So no pictures of that one! Sophie pointed out a Hobby that flew over us. Spent a while searching for the spot fly, but to no avail. I walked back along the river path and watched several sedge warblers flitting about, a cettis warbler called and a cuckoo was singing. I could hear the cows munching grass on Redwell and the noise of all the black headed gulls. Sitting in the hide proved very productive: 4 black tailed godwits, 2 cuckoos flew over the hide, a redshank and 2 avocets right in front of hide, 3 oystercatchers. Bird of the day was a stunning Grey Wagtail which dropped in momentarily - just enough for me to get a few pictures! The cows were walking in front of the hide and around the waters edge which the black headed gulls were not happy about at all. Left here at 7.45pm and went home. Sandwiches are packed up and I AM getting up early tomorrow! Expect a LONG post tomorrow!

Grey Wagtail, in front of Redwell Marsh Hide.



Redshank, Redwell Marsh.



Black headed Gulls, Redwell Marsh.


Cows annoying the black headed gulls!


Cows at NOA Redwell Marsh Hide. (iphone)






Avocets, Redwell Marsh Hide.



Shelducks, Redwell Marsh Hide.


Oystercatcher, Redwell Marsh Hide.

2 comments:

  1. Would have made a brilliant picture, you running barefoot through town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about that Sue!!!! (Ha ha)

    ReplyDelete