SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 11 May 2011

Re: the lost scope and tripod

Re: my earlier post on the tripod and scope I found at Flitcham Abbey Farm Hide.

I don't know why I bothered to be honest. RBA were very helpful to me and the scope owner. I was given the landline and mob no. of the person and looking at the landline I realised this person was in the Hunstanton region so when I realised there was a wood warbler at Holme I decided it would be more beneficial, both to me;) and the scope owner to deliver it to Titchwell RSPB (who were very happy to help out). I left a message at Cley VC and with RBA, tried to ring the owner (several times) - no answer on landline, and mobile on answerphone to say I had done this. The owner rang me at the worst time EVER, it was about 10 mins after the inital finding of the Collared Fly and I was desperate to get better pictures. He seemed slightly put out that the scope was not at Cley VC where I originally said I was going to leave it. Not my fault he did not reply to any of my messages earlier! When I said it was now at Titchwell RSPB etc etc he asked if he could meet me somewhere to collect it! In my head I was thinking get off the bl**dy phone, I have a collared flycatcher in front of me, but I politely continued the conversation and repeated that I had left it at Titchwell and why. He said he did not receive any of my text messages (that I had taken ages to type out). I also told him there was a Collared Fly here and he didn't even respond!!!!! Obviously not a serious birder. The excitement of the bird was getting too much now, so said sorry I had to go now. But in the conservation there was not a single thank you mentioned at all - maybe he did, as there was alot of noise all around me in those first few frantic moments of people trying to see the bird. I have stubbornly phoned him each day since to ask if he got his scope ok and could he let me know that he had collected it, but still no reply - unbelievable!!! Next time I come across a scope and tripod I will dump at the nearest police station, it would have saved a whole load of hassle and stress! Some people!!! 'Manners maketh man'. Anyway thanks to RBA, Cley VC and Titchwell RSPB helping with the scope.

UPDATE: I did get a thank you text message which read the following: 'very many thanks scope safe John' on 11th May.

5 comments:

  1. Some people, it seems, just don't know how to behave in an appropriate manner. You went to such trouble and for what? Barely a civil thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Penny, last autumn when I was at Heligan for the Green Heron I was in the upper hide and had not yet seen it when a man came in to say it had just reappeared down in the lower pools.I rushed down with my wife and got to the lower hide and realized I'd left my scope and tripod in the upper hide so scope, bird, bird, scope, bird what to do?? I left my wife to tick the heron and ran back to retrieve scope, then got great views of the heron. Not everyone is as honest as you and I can't understand his attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally got a text message from the scope owner tonight (Wednesday) which said the following:
    "Very many thanks scope safe john"

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what you get for trying to help out...

    ReplyDelete