SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 14 May 2011

More Hot Birds!!!



WOOD WARBLER
Titchwell RSPB.



Someone rang me this morning and said 'whereabouts are you'? I was ashamed to say 'in bed'!!!! I could not get up this morning.

I eventually made it to Titchwell RSPB and found out that the WOOD WARBLER was showing in the Picnic Area. It was wonderful watching this and I spent my whole time here attempting to better my 'record shots' but didn't really improve on them much! There must have been a problem with vodaphone today as I had no signal at all at Titchwell and a few other people said the same. There was also a female blackcap here and several cute baby robins (see pic). Walked round the Meadow Trail which produced sedge warblers, a reed warbler, common whitethroat and a singing cuckoo. Lots of 'Marsh Orchids' out and also 'Ragged Robin'. I didn't go to the main reserve as several people including Dave Holman said there was very little out there and also I was feeling very lazy today! In fact I then had an afternoon snooze in the car!

Robin, Titchwell RSPB.


Juvenile Robin, Titchwell RSPB.


Gypsy Lane - only produced a male blackcap, a chiffchaff and a common whitethroat, I did have a couple of LBJs, but they wouldn't show themselves! I had to run back to the car as a massive downpour was imminent - I just made it!

Cley NWT - Parked the car by the west bank and stood on top with others including Eddie M. to view the LESSER YELLOWLEGS, a Temminck's Stint, 2 Wood Sandpipers and 2 little ringed plovers.

Walsey Hills NOA - a walk round here produced very little really - a chiffchaff, willow warbler, Cettis Warbler. Two swallows sitting on the bush at the end of the bottom path and a few common whitethroats.


Swallows flying over fields at Walsey Hills NOA.


Bishops Hide NWT - which I knew would be peaceful being as the majority of birders would be in Avocet Hide looking for the Great Snipe again! There was a lovely couple in the hide who were from Kinross and we had a good chat about the 'old days'! Best bird seen here was a Common Sandpiper right in front of the hide.

Common Sandpiper, Bishops Hide, Cley NWT.


Daukes's Hide NWT - on route to this hide I passed a long line of birders on the board walk, overlooking Cricket Marsh who I presume had not been able to get into Avocet Hide!!! I walked in Daukes' Hide and had it all to myself! Very few birds on the scrapes this evening. Usual avocets, redshanks, shelducks, lapwings and two marsh harriers over the reed beds. A lady came into the hide and her husband shortly after who 'had had enough of being in Avocet Hide which was packed out solid! The sunset was very beautiful this evening. I was hoping for the Great Snipe all to myself but obviously that did not occur! No sign of the Great Snipe today at all, but obviously it could still be out there somewhere!

Sunset from Daukes' Hide, Cley NWT.

1 comment:

  1. I went to Avocet hide early. The FIRST time I have left home at first light for a bird I HAD SEEN before.

    Two 730 messages Saturday. The seond was for two sleepy spoonbills by Bishops Hide. I left the snipe dippers and walked towards Teal hide and finally year ticked spoonbill!

    Distant short-eared owl at West Bank early am only. Another year bird!

    ReplyDelete