SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 15 January 2011

Snowbuntings at Salthouse

Could not leave early as had to go into town for something - excuses, excuses!!!

Spent the day with my youngest sister Vivien who I picked up from Hunstanton. Also bumped into father in the high street, gave him a lift home along with some shopping I had got for them and then Vivien and I continued along the coast for a cruise.

Thornham - dipped on the Northern Harrier again - but to be fair, I didn't really get there early enough anyway. Bumped into Irene Boston as I was leaving who had re-found the Iceland Gull, but it had now disappeared towards Holme. It was seriously windy today, so much so that it was difficult to walk at times! 3 Marsh Harriers distantly by Jameson's Wood, Holme.

Choseley Barns - nowt! Not a single bird was seen here!

Burnham Overy Staithe - sat here in the car and had our lunch - few turnstones, redshank, a grey plover and herring gulls.

A single Barnacle Goose amongst Pinkfeet west of Lady Anne's Drive, Holkham.

Barnacle Goose, amongst White fronted Geese and Pinkfoots, Holkham.


Cley - walked along the East Bank to dip on both the American Wigeon and the Shorelarks!

Salthouse Beach carpark - sat in the car yards from a huge flock of beautiful Snowbuntings, but the light was so naff, I didn't get a single sharp photograph. It also didn't help the fact that dog owners continuously turned up and flushed the flock several times.


Snowbuntings in evening light, Salthouse Beach Carpark.


Drove home via Holt, shared a bag of chips on the way back (yes I know I am dieting!) and dropped Vivien at the train station to go back to Ely.

Not one of the most exciting days I have had - but then it was probably more exciting than spending hours in a car and then standing at a rubbish tip all day, looking for a Slaty-backed Gull!!! Seriously though, feel sorry for all the people that went for it - around a thousand did so, so Andy W. told me.

3 comments:

  1. BLIMEY! That was some lunch at Burnham, Penny "turnstones, redshank, a grey plover and herring gulls".What was for "afters"?. I am missing Norfolk so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Barnacle Goose looks like it is amongst White-fronted Geese too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it does! Will amend my caption!

    ReplyDelete