SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 28 August 2010

Another awesome day at Cley!

It was a job to get up this morning - I ached all over from walking Blakeney Point yesterday, but it had definately been worth it!

Had a slow morning. I felt compelled to go to Cley again, my new patch! On route stopped off at The House on the Hill at Blakney to find MY Mega, and also the track the otherside of the road, but alas nothing at all! Then went straight to the Cley Visitor Centre and had jacket potato with cheese and coleslaw, salad etc. Really sunny weather, but windy. I did not have the energy to walk BP again to see the bluethroat that was showing throughout the day at 'The Hood'

Went to Walsey Hills where I bumped into Pete S. Had a walk through the centre path which was extremely busy with birds, including 2 lesser whitethroats, 1 garden warbler, fem blackcap, 2 chiffchaffs and a chaffinch all in one small area. No sign of the Icterine that I saw yesterday.

Pete and I then went to Kelling Quags in hope of a Barred Warbler or something anyway! It was teaming with rain when we arrived, so sat in the car for a nap. A bit later the sun shone again and off we went. Nothing of note until we got to the metal gate - the Common Crane was sitting in the field just right of the pool! 4.15pm. It then took off and flew in the direction of Salthouse - got some pictures too! Got some fabulous pictures of a fem. Ruff very close to the fence/path. Few reedbuntings and common whitethroats about. Walking round the corner from the pool we had stunning views of a Turtle Dove flying across the black skies in the sunshine!



Common Crane at Kelling Water Meadow, heading off to Salthouse.



Ruff at Kelling Water Meadows.


Started to walk back and I got a call from Andy Wilkinson that he, Justin Lansdell and Chris Mills had found a Short toed Lark a few hundreds yards west of Cley Coastguards! Walked as fast as I could back to the car. Pete couldn't go, prior engagement. Arrived at Coastguards and walked the few hundred yards to the area. Cutting a long story short it took a very long time to see it, in fact I nearly gave up as some people had already. I stubbonly walked a lot further than a few hundred yards in hope of seeing it and also the rain was now lashing down. When I looked back I could see a group of birders not far from the carpark and it was obvious they were watching something! The crowd then started to walk towards me, excellent I thought someone's flushed it in my direction. Eventually it did show itself to probably half the original crowd including John F., Robin A., Andy J., Eddie M., Carl C., and others I know by face but not by name. Saw the Short toed Lark at 7pm and got some records shots too. Walked back to car, sandwich and coffee and then drove home.


SHORT TOED LARK

I think I can safely say these are only record shots!!!





Time to go!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment