SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Friday 11 June 2010

FAIR ISLE - Exhilerating plane journey!!!

5 passengers were travelling by plane this morning including Inez Weston who had also been staying at the South Light. Arrived at the airstrip to catch the plane at 9.35am. Said goodbye to Josie and I got to sit at the front with an extremely dishy pilot! Took several pictures, but dull rainy skies. Journey took about 30 minutes. Cost, single £34. To be honest I felt safer on The Good Shepherd! I trust the skipper of the boat in rough weather more than I do a potential dodgy engine in a plane! Arriving at Tingwall airport at 10am I took a picture of the pilot! And also asked someone to take a picture of Inez and I together and we said our goodbyes. Sinclair Taxis took me to the Ferry Terminal which cost £1.70 (booked 24 hours in advance through the Shetland Council) special cheap fare (normal taxi fares around £8!). Left clothes bag in luggage room and trundled back to Lerwick town centre with camera rucksack. Took pictures on quayside. Went into The Shetland Bookshop and bought a signed copy of Simon King"s Shetland Diaries!!! Also bought a Shetland bear. Went into the excellent Perrie coffee shop to have coffee and vanilla cheesecake!

Walked back to ferry terminal and checked in at 3.30pm. This ferry is going via Orkney and arrives there at 11.00pm to drop/load passengers on - in fact as I write on my blog, the ferry is about to leave Orkney at 11.45pm. The sea was very rough coming here. Decided not to go into the recliner lounge as I normally do as I found a whole comfy sofa (these are usually taken very early) mid-way on the ferry which is better for the stomach than being at the back in recliner lounge. Very difficult to sleep as its so hot. Tons of very awake youngsters have just boarded!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment