SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 30 May 2010

FAIR ISLE - Sunday - first full day on Fair isle

South Light House

Got up at 5am, showered and was out by just before 6am!!! Very unusual for me on day one!

Beautiful sunny morning. I had decided to meet at 'The Chalet' for Trap round at 7am.

On route I saw a Red-breasted merganser in south harbour near 'The Puffin' along with the usual eiders and turnstones. Not too much else really on route, but just simply fabulous to be here - few linnets, bonxies soaring through the skies, arctic skuas, wheatears, meadow pipits, snipes drumming and curlews calling. Jack AW was doing trap round this morning and Cheryl and Barry also joined us. Jack was very pleased with the 'round' as we caught a Common Whitethroat in 'Hjon' trap, a Lesser Whitethroat in the 'Gully' and a Teal which was a surprise in the Vaadal trap.

On route back to the South Light I heard what I was pretty sure was the Rosefinch singing at Burkle that had been seen yesterday - I was just listening to the song on my iphone which confirmed that it was, when Jack kindly sent me a message to say 'Rosefinch singing at Burkle!!!

Breakfast was first class: porridge, scrambled eggs, vege sausages, vege bacon, bagels, toast, honey, tea, orange juice!

After breakfast on Jack's advice I walked round the South west geos, around Malcolm's head and ended up at 'Pund' . Didn't see anything out of the ordinary, but did have lovely views of a Raven high up on a cliff, didn't have camera ready quick enough though! Also a pair of Hooded Crows sat on a cliff top. Photographed a distant pair of Black Guillemots courting on a cliff edge with a pair of puffins on the next ledge above! I realised how unfit I have become since the last time I visited Fair isle, it was a really struggle to get up some of the hills! On reaching 'Pund' I walked back round the road via Burkle. Passed Deryk on the way back who said the rain that was forecast this afternoon was now not happening, which is a pity as migrants could have been dropping out of the skies if it had of done! Also Simon (seabird AW) had trapped an Icterine Warbler this morning and also an Osprey had been seen briefly where I had walked earlier, around near Malcolm's Head.

I arrived back well in time for 1.30pm lunch. Soup, warm rolls with butter, cheese, salad etc. Paul French said he had a tree pipit and also a common redstart this morning.

My plan for the afternoon was to walk to the obs, BUT on returning to my room I decided it was much too tempting not to have an afternoon siesta! Its now 5pm and really ought to go out before dinner at 7pm! Terrible I know, but just felt exhausted and it was a glorious nap listening to the wind whistling through the window. Radiators are on which made it even more cosy! Beautiful sunny weather and a north east wind blowing.

Had a quick walk round South Harbour to work up an appetite before dinner at 7pm. Didn't see very much, but just enjoyed the scenery. Saw a seal amongst the tons of beautiful ribbon seaweed. Eiders on the sea and kittiwakes, also 1 redshank. On the way back to the South Light a ringed plover was sitting on rocks.

Dinner was again awesome. Soup and bread to start followed by Nut Roast, baked potatoes, swede mashed with something!, sprouts, cauliflower, sweetcorn followed by strawberries, yoghurt AND rhubarb crumble with custard!!!!!

Went for evening walk to make up for my lazy afternoon. I was lucky enough to see the female Rosefinch sitting on the far dry stone wall at Burkle at 9pm. Walked as far as the 'Old Haa' and back again at Burkle I saw a Spotted Flycatcher sitting on the dry stone wall on right hand side! Tommy and son Henry gave me a lift back to the South Light.

Another beautiful sunset just now, but alot colder this evening so have not ventured out to take sunset pictures!


Teal trapped at Vaadal


Common Whitethroat trapped at Hjon



Lesser Whitethroat trapped at the Gully


Will check the name of this pinnacle out, can't remember at the moment!


MORE PICTURES TO COME - WILL ADD TOMORROW!

No comments:

Post a Comment