SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 29 April 2010

Dipped on the Bee-eater twice!!!!

Got home from work and sat at the kitchen table with my head in my hands as I felt really ill with a horrible cold since last Sunday and now turning into a seriously sore throat and hacky cough. Mobile rings from a friend of a friend to tell me that Chris Everitt has found a Bee-eater.... sitting on wires.

I will do just about anything for a Bee-eater and even though I felt like hell the thought of seeing another Bee-eater in Norfolk was incredibly exciting. Flew upstairs, grabbed scope, camera and bins and flew out of the door, breaking speed limits to get there! Chris Everitt saw the Bee-eater at 5.45pm on wires and on a tree along the Docking to Brancaster road B1153 by a sugarbeet concrete pad approx 1/4 mile from the A149 at Brancaster. I arrived a few seconds past 6.20pm - 'it was on the wire about 30 seconds ago, don't worry it will come back.... its been doing a circuit several times'. Chris last saw it flew towards a tree near the A149 which he reckoned we could see, but all I could see was a fuzzy dark blob in the rainy gloomy conditions. I was like the devil possessed as the minutes ticked by - how incredibly frustrating!!! (thats not actually what I said!) Pager goes off 'Bee-eater over RSPB Titchwell Visitor Centre 6.40pm...... off I flew and Jim S and Paul (warden) informed me I had missed it and that it had flown in the direction of Thornham. I drove as far as Holme and went all round the village searching all the telegraph wires in vain. Went back up to Thornham boat house to find several birders high on a bank also searching in vain. Carried on my search round lots of back roads until 9pm - only just home and not a happy bunny!

Week off for birding this Saturday - hurrah!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment